1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleanest powder for 12 ga - 1 1/8 oz - 1200 fps?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bolt-action, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

Hello! What is the cleanest burning powder for 12 ga - 1 1/8 oz - 3 Dram (1200 fps) load? I am not talking about visible residue left in the barrel after each shot, but rather the amount of residue left in the gas operating system of a Remington 1100 or other semi-auto. I have used, and love, 700x for years for this load. Availability of this powder is an issue for me right now, and I am looking to try something new.

I have shot Green Dot in the past also. I absolutely love the way it shoots and use it regularly in some of my other guns. But when shooting Green Dot in a Remington 1100, a complete detailed cleaning becomes necessary every 200-300 rounds. I can often go 5 times this long with 700x and still have less residue in the gas system.

I have looked at Clays/Claydot powder recipes and they seem to be very good for 1 ounce loads or perhaps very light 1 1/8 ounce loads. Their pressure levels are higher than I like at a 1200 fps load with 1 1/8 oz. of shot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I shot a 303 for years using mostly Winchester Super-target and liked it a lot except for the smell which is awful. So bad, in fact, I quit using it. and went to Red Dot, which worked fine too, but 1200 fps is about the limit as far as speed goes.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

WST. HMB

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"I have looked at Clays/Claydot powder recipes and they seem to be very good for 1 ounce loads or perhaps very light 1 1/8 ounce loads. Their pressure levels are higher than I like at a 1200 fps load with 1 1/8 oz. of shot.</blockquote>Believe it or not, generating good pressure is one of the main reasons they burn cleanly!

Carol Lister

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In my Remington 1100 and 390 Beretta.. I too just hated the smell of Winchester powders.. Promo/Red Dot did fine with 1 oz/1 1/8oz of shot.. The E-3 powder was excellent too but pricey.. Both giving me over 500 rounds and not gumming up everything.. Green Dot didn't work well at all...

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Hogdon powders are the cleanest on the market. For what you want -- Clays International. Shoots just like Green Dot but VERY clean. Now there seems to be a shortage of it, but give it a try. Fred

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use Clays for both my lead and steel loads. Whether 3 dram ounce/eighth or my light steel loads at 3/4 oz, neither need much more than a quick TICO tool down the barrel at the end of the evening.

regards to all,

Jay

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

He has the same thread going on the Reloader board at SGW, and it is interesting to see how 'great minds' work.

Over there, Alliant weighed in, too.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=183734

Pretty interesting.

Bob

9. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I have gone thru the same issue, tried several but come back to clays. Its just soo clean compared to the rest. You just crowd acceptable pressures at 1200 fps. I think this is a result of the same physics that make it so clean. small flake powder with good surface area that burns very fast giving little residue and results in high pressure rise rate.
    Bottom line it works at 1200, just cant be a 1350 fps long shot answer.

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"You just crowd acceptable pressures at 1200 fps. I think this is a result of the same physics that make it so clean. small flake powder with good surface area that burns very fast giving little residue and results in high pressure rise rate."</blockquote>
    Keep your powder drop weights correct and consistent and watch the wad pressure and crimp depth and all will be well with Clays/Clay Dot at 1200 fps.

Carol Lister

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have shot an 1100 for almost 40 years,loaded 10 of 1000's of rounds. I agree with the 700X. I now use Clays for taper hulls & PB in straight wall Gold Medal hulls. Those are the two best I have found. Green Dot always runs the action well but is dirty. Try the Clays International.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Solo 1000

13. BIG B

BIG B Member

PB is the absolute cleanest and most consistent powder I've used. Also the most expensive....

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I use the same thing as RunGun, PB for Federal GM, 700X for tapered. When I can't get 700X, I switch to Red Dot. Never a problem with these loads in a Super X-1. Wayne

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

For many, a clean powder is one that leaves a lot of small residue that they can't see easily. Most shooters gage how clean a powder is by looking down the barrel to see what might be there after they shoot and do not consider that each shot removes the previous residue.

My wife gages how clean a powder burns by looking at my shirt after shooting.

I like to look at residual burning tests. They are a fair comparison and very simple to do. I have found that the dirtiest powders are actually not so dirty and the cleanest powders really are not too clean.

Pat Ireland

16. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I load a ton of solo 1000. very clean and low recoil.BYG

17. DanLee

DanLee Member

Another vote for Solo 1000. I've been using it since Doc Watson was the importer and I've never encountered a cleaner-burning powder in 12 gauge. Ditto for Solo 1250 in the 28 gauge. I shoot 1100s in both.

18. 100straight

100straight Member

American Select

19. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

E3. A couple bigger flakes in the barrel after a shot but the barrel came clean with fewer swabs. Plenty of pressure for the action. Although I wouldn't push it above 1200fps in 1 1/8oz.

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Give Hodgdon Titegroup a try.

And by the way, I agree with Pat. Most powders on the market are plenty clean for use in a gas semi-auto.

You need to clean gas guns regularly anyway, and as many on this website have found, the best way to do that is to keep the gas path coated with Break-Free CLP.

Wipe clean, then reapply avery 500 shots or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clean burning powder for 12 ga

cleanest 12 ga powder

cleanest 12 gauge powder

cleanst burning powder for 12 gauge 1 0z

is clays powder dirty in semiauto 12 ga guns

problems with e-3 shotgun powder

red dot powder and 1200 fps

what is a cleayn burning powder for 12 ga