1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleanest powder for 1100---?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Southpaw Sam, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Need input for clean burning and efficient powder for 1100. I normally use Federal or Rio primers with green dot.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

At one time the only clean powder was PB. Since than, Clays is excellent, and I hear Clay Dot also.

HM

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

E3 burns cleanest in my SuperX2.

AndyH ;-)

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm not much for changing recipes or components but, for my 12 gauge shells I only reload with Red Dot or Clays. I like both but, Clays is cleaner.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

International Clays is well suited to the 1 1/8 Oz loads (like Green Dot) and leaves very little residue. Clays is also a clean burner but better suited to the 7/8 and 1 Oz shells.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I use clays for 1 1/8 oz loads. That is all I load. Works just fine with a number 32 bushing in a mec, win 209, windjammer wads, for somewhere around 1140 fps. Used only clays for the last 6 years I think with no problems what so ever. If your looking for over 1200 fps then pressures can get high but if you want clean burning powder that is an extremely good option.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The only problem I'm having with Clays is buying it in 8# containers. Have my name in on two waiting/want lists in two different shops.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Winchester AA Plus. HMB

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Clays is probably the cleanest burning powder for a Semi-auto. 700-X was very good at one time. Probably one of the worst was tho old Winchester ball powder!!

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you are worried about getting it "dirty", then don't shoot it! In reality, there isn't that much difference between suitable powders for target loads. Load them to reasonable pressures and you should have no trouble. They invented solvent, brushes, and all of the other stuff for a reason. I've had Clays gum up the works about as much as Promo. Just find a load you like and use it. Don't worry about how "Clean" the powder is.

11. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I hear your pain. I switched to an O/U (Citori XT) from an 1100 and my cleaning time went down by 50%, even less if I don't shoot doubles and don't use the top barrel. I found Clays as clean as it gets. I'm trying E3 and it seems a little dirtier despite the manufacture propaganda, but I’m getting more consistent velocities with the lighter loads, especially 7/8oz. at 1200fps. It burns a little faster but not sure it’ll leave an 1100 any cleaner.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

1100s shoot fine with "dirty powder". By "dirty powder" I mean those that leave globs of stuff in the barrel. Those globs in the barrel don't affect the functioning of 1100s.

13. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

I shoot lots of Red Dot in my 1100 and find that it leaves a very manageable amount of residue.

14. Jimmy E

Jimmy E TS Member

I shoot an 1100 and have now gone through four pounds of 700X without a single cleaning. The gun just isn't dirty!! I've tried half a dozen other powders and this has by far been the best.
    Jimmy E

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Red Dot. Five million league shooters - with at least a million 1100's among them - can't be wrong.

Neil

16. 121083

121083 Member

I agree with Jimmy E. Have been shooting 700x for the last 6 years both singles and handicap. Clean the gun when you think it needs it. I have just recently tried Green Dot for handicap to reduce preasures a little. Have not seen any difference in the cleanliness of the gun. Have shot factory ammo a lot dirtier. Even some Remington stuff. Estates are the worst. Thanks and good shooting, Bob Morris.

17. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Clays

18. Shell Shucker

Shell Shucker TS Member

G'Day All,

Whenever I shoot my guns, not one of them goes back in the rack without a
    proper inspection,cleaning & oiling. I've had no problems with any of my Rem. 1100's in the past using the powders available at the time.

The key to maintaining your guns performance at shoots is to give the gun a
    quick bore & action cleaning between events, followed by a light lube of
    critical moving parts. Time permitting of course!

That's why most good trap clubs provide a covered gun maintenance area for this purpose.

Never leave a gun dirty, it's as simple as that.

19. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have been shooting a 1100 TC for the last five years for everything.Had some problems at first when shooting doubles after singles and cap. Now I carry surgical gloves in my shooting bag and before I shoot doubles I wipe the piston and O ring down with a Rem Wipe the dry with a towel has worked great and never failed to cycle. When done I just hold the Rem Wipe in my hand and peel the glove off and through away clean gun and clean hands.

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All the powders burn pretty clean when you get psi over 9000.. Clays,Red Dot,700X,Tite Wad,Promo.. and a flock of others.. For clean.. personally I like E3 but I've had ZERO problems with Promo.. Green Dot is OK for 1 1/8oz.. but in my lighter loads..fire comes out of both ends.. Pretty cool at night.. but not what I'm looking for.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.