1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleanest powder for 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1100 REMINGTON MAN, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Useing Clays powder for trap & Skeet. Was woundering if any of the new powders are any better & cleaner burning? Hull Remington STS Nitro 27 was useing LAGE uniwad wad going to need new wad also& Looking for a 1150 to 1200 FPS load. I use 1 1/8 oz load.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I don't think there are any powders that will leave your barrel looking cleaner than Hodgdon Clays. If you are using it already, and like it, no need to change.

For wads, check out the wads offfered by Downrange. I think they are some of the best wads on the market as far as ease of loading and leaving very little residue on your choke tubes. And they're usually a little less costly than the name brands.

Clays is very suitable for 1-1/8 ounce loads and 1150 fps muzzle velocity.

However, Clays is not your best choice when looking at 1-1/8 ounce loads and 1200 fps muzzle velocity. The pressure gets high. Look at something like Hodgdon Titegroup for that load.

3. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Back in the days when I shot a Super X-1, I preferred 700X as the "clean" powder. Now shooting breach actions, I place less of a premium on clean burning powder. 700X still remains a good powder for traploads.

Play Dead

4. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Alliant E3. Works well for semi-auto pistol loads also!

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Clean" or "Dirty" powders don't make a difference with 1100s. What you see when you look down the barrel of a "dirty" barrel doesn't affect the reliability of 1100s. Carbon build-up is the culprit, and that you can get from both "clean" and "dirty" powders.

PB and International Clays will give you a bigger 'gas bubble' and that's what keeps 1100s reliable. The fact that they are both relatively "clean" is irrelevant. Both, like any powder, will contribute to carbon build-up and both are expensive

Shoot wet with BreakFree CLP to keep the carbon build-up under control with any powder.

6. rrose

rrose TS Member

I think if you try E3 you will find it is a little cleaner than Clays.
    Great powder.
    randy

7. warren

warren Member

e3

warren

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are going to be hard pressed to find a powder that is better for your application than CLAYS. You can find less expensive powders however. For wads, take Tim's advise and look into what DownRange has to offer. I like their XL blue wad for the 1 1/8 Oz loads and the TGT12 clone for 1 Oz loads. They have a huge selection and I have heard good things about all of their products. (priced right too)

No matter what though, you will still need to maintain that 1100 with a good cleaning every 500 rounds or so.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Remington 1100 requires gas system cleaning every 500 rounds.

Beretta 390/391 will go 5000 to 8000 rounds without cleaning!

My experience with both guns and Clays powder.

Jim Skeel

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Started with 700X and after many years gave Clays a try for several. Went back to 700x. Just thinks it patterns better with the chokes I use. Load both 1 oz and 1 1/8.

Also, agree with the use of Breakfree. Great product for use on an 1100.

11. copperjohn

copperjohn Member

I will second comments on 700X, excellent for 1oz or 1 1/8 oz have used it for years always consentent in all weather, very clean burning. Also keep that forend tube wet. Excellent powder and the VEG- A- Matic 1100 is still an excellent gun and a great value and it doesn't screw you in the ground when you shoot it, recoil is never a problem. Agree?

Kevin

12. DanLee

DanLee Member

I've found Solo 1000 to be the cleanest of all powders I've tried in target loads, including Red Dot, Promo, 700X, 452AA, Clays, and E3.

Dan

13. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I agree with Dan.. Solo 1000 is the way to go.. I have shot several big shoots 700-1000 round without cleaning the gas system.

14. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I have been loading Alliant Extra-Lite for 4 months in both 7/8 and 1 oz. loads, mostly in Rem. cases. Clean burning, minimal recoil. Alliant has a 15 page download on their website that gives loads for every case/primer/wad combo.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When my Titewad is gone I want to try Clay Dot.

I do have to clean the gas ports every two thousand rounds or so.

HM

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

No question in my mind....Solo 1000 is the cleanest burning powder I've ever used...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.