1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLEANEST BURNING LOADS???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Loyac, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Of these three factory loads, which has the cleanest burning powder? Thanks. John

Fiocchi premium target - 1 1/8oz 3dram 1200fps

Remington STS - 1 1/8oz 3dram 1200fps

Winchester AA - 1 1/8oz 3dram 1200fps

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

john- There is no easy accurate way to tell. Very many shooters believe they can look down there barrel after shooting one powder and then the following week change powders and again look down the barrel and tell which powder was the cleanest. I maintain that looking down a barrel is not a method that will distinguish how clean a powder burns. One powder believed by many to be exceptionally clean actually is not very clean. It simply leaves a residue as a very fine film that is difficult to see. A shiny barrel is not always a clean barrel.

I did try one system once. I weighed once fired WW hulls and then loaded the hulls with different powders. After shooting them, I weighed the hulls again in an effort to weigh the residue in the hull. I weighed the hulls to an accuracy of 0.0001 gram. The results were inconclusive. I wish I could find some scales that would weigh an entire gun with that level of accuracy.

Simple residual burning tests can be done by all of us. They do ignore the role of chamber pressure in burning the powder but they can provide a reasonable comparison among powders. To do this test, make some small pans from tin foil and weigh each one. Then put in some powder in each pan and weigh the powder and the pan. Then burn the powder and weigh the residue. From these numbers it becomes simple to calculate the % of the powder that did not burn.

Pat Ireland

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Forget the cleanest burning powder, concentrate on which gives you the best pattern!

Clean burning doesn't mean squat...hopefully you are cleaning after you shoot!

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Does making them clean, make them break targets any better? Wake up!!!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shoot the targets and don't worry about the dirt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.