1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaner powder than Clays wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1881home, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Is there a powder out there that is cleaner on your hands and shells than Clays? Clays seems to burn very clean in the barrel, but, handling the empties in a 100 target event leaves your hands filthy. The empty hulls look clean but don't get them, or your hands against a good shirt! There must be something that is less sooty on the empties. Any ideas! I'm loading 1oz. of shot at about 1160 to 1170 FPS, Fiocchi 616 primer, Federal 12S0 wad, in a Federal Gold Medal hull, with 17.5 Clays. I like the performance except for the dirty, sooty hulls after shooting.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

2. dontate

dontate Member

Try Hogdon Tite Group.

3. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Why don't you just try wearing gloves?Works really well for my lillie whites.

4. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Try e3

5. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Titegroup is dirty. Vita Vouri is one of the cleanest and has the least felt recoil of all powders made in the world due to the pressure curve. Their powder is made differently, is more expensive to make, they use cotton as the base instead of wood chips, alliant also uses cotton.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All powders leave something behind. Wear a dark Shirt and wash your hands.

7. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Shoot some Promo you will appreciate how clean the clays is.Jerry

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

All powders leave residue. Its just a fact.

Clays is about as clean as they get.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Jim, 17.5 grains is to low of pressure for the components you have listed, less than 7500 psi. Try 19 grains at 9200 psi., and 1235 fps. That should give you a complete powder burn. Check Hodgdon's web-site.

Wayne

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Give a try to PB--if--you have a thick wallet.

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

For my 1100TB and 11/76 Premier trap, I use Alliant E3 for a very clean reload.

I like the Federal Gold Medal hull, 17.5 grains of E3, Federal F209A primer and Clay Buster 12S0 Federal wad clone with 1 oz. of hard 8's.

Velocity is 1200 fps and pressure is about 9000 psi.

This is a published load. Please verify via the Alliant web site and weigh your powder charge.

PB is an excellent powder. The only problem is that the patterns it produces are just too darn tight! It is clean and a great handicap powder.

Ed Ward

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Noodle, don't try and take the "redneck" out of this sport. Just learn to be alittle more heathenistic.lol

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Wayne has the reason. You'll likely always have the soot problem with the low pressure loads. The low pressure means the hull can't seal the chamber fast enough for some of the burning mixture to blast it's way back up along side the hull. Not saying there isn't a solution, but you may have to decide what's more important to you - low pressure/recoil or "clean" hulls. "Clays" has always had the rep as the cleanest burning powder out there. Guess you could add a grain or so and see if you like the results. Good luck.

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Dang........Now I have something else to worry about besides breaking the target, keeping my head down and following through.

To much for this old man to digest at one time...lol

Hauxfan!

15. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Ive been hearing alot of good things about e3 next keg Im going to give it a try

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The sign of a good day is that nice tan powder residue all over your face. To improve on that slightly, go load a few trap machines after shooting then pick up the CVRs and rake up the hulls. When properly filthed up in this manner you have earned the right to go into the clubhouse with your pals and have a few brews and laughs.

Were guys, don't loose sight of that. To second Tim though, CLAYS is as clean as it gets.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Noodle, for the loads you propose, the cleanest burning powder you can use is Aliant ExtraLite. However, the data only shows loads with Fiocchi primers for 7/8oz loads. Only W209, Fed209A and Cheddite primers are shown for 1oz loads.

E3 is also a very clean powder. I use it a lot. However, for the low velocity loads you mention, it will be cleanest in standard or moderately overbore barrels.

18. ABH

ABH Member

Jim,

Pick a powder,components and FPS that will give you 9,500-10,000 PSI in your chamber. This will insure a good wad seal and complete burning of the powder charge. Most powders burn relatively clean at these pressures. Hodgdon powders are among the cleanest burning of all the popular brands out there.

ART H.

19. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

17.5 grains is below the suggested amount of powder. This is probably why you are having dirty hulls and gun. The minimum they list is 18 grains and even at 7200 psi you will more than likely still get dirty hulls and gun.

I tried to find some recipes for E3 or other faster burn rate powders and I have found that your set up is unique and not very many recipes out there for it.

Bryan

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, Without looking if your load is below 8,000 psi chamber pressure you are more than likely getting a incomplete burn with that powder. Try Win. AA Lite powder that will give you some nice light one oz. loads with higher chamber pressure at lowder speeds to give you a more complete powder burn. This will clean up your barrels. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.