1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaner for Shot and Powder Tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hitapair, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Anybody have a cleaner for cleaning the plastic tubes holding powder and shot on a reloader? Mine are so black I can't see either the shot or the powder level.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

First try dishsoap and warm water. That should work well on the shot reservoir as the dark color is probably from the graphite that is on the shot. The soap and water will remove powder residue and graphite from the powder reservoir but if the plastic is darkened from the nitrates in the powder there in not much you can do to clean them up.

Jim Skeel

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The best way to eliminate static charges in the powder bottle is for it to be coated with graphite from the shot, or whatever. Why clean it? I use my dirtiest bottles for powder, do not have static issues. New bottles are relegated to shot until they are grungy.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting Coach- It is nice to see how full the powder hoppers are. Some shooters have even let the powder bottles get empty and they have kept on reloading. I am not admitting anything about myself, but I do know that the primer only will push the wad half way down the barrel and the shot lands a few feet from the end of the barrel. Very little recoil results from this.

Pat Ireland

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've tried every sort of polish I can think of to get the stain out of my P-W's powder tube and I've had limited success with "Autosol" from Germany and a medium cotton wheel on a long shaft. Meguier's just came out with a headlight lens polishing kit. I think I'll try that next before I find a plastics wholesaler and just replace the tube.

MK

6. checker

checker Member

Shooting Coach - help on way - Get some new bottles....after market, coated, so no Static...made of 1/8 wall Polycarbonate tubing (trade name Lexan) will not darken like plastic....from Basic Design Machine.com in PA. For Pacific 366 and MEC 9000....30# shot tube....Pat B.(Blooper)Ireland has great advice too.
    [​IMG]

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why not just read the powder and shot guages on the press to know how much is left in the hoppers? HMB

8. Unknown1

Because P-Ws aren't equipped with gauges...

MK

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh I feel a new P-W product coming. Shot and Powder level indicators.!!!

Who will be the first to market a reasonable reliable one that works???

WesleyB

10. Unknown1

I already have one on one my 900s...this loader has aluminum tubes for hoppers...both hoppers were cracked when I bought the loader and it was easy to roll and weld aluminum tubes to replace the plastic tubes.

A 1/4" plywood disc that fits loosely in the powder tube... drill a 1/8" hole in the center of the disc...glue a proper-length piece of straight 1/8" wood dowel into the hole so the disc is a one end of the dowel...mark the length of the dowel with datum lines as you please...punch a little-larger-than-1/8"-diameter hole in the center of the powder tube cap...fill the tube with powder...put the disc on top of the powder and put the dowel through the hole in the cap as the cap is put on...dowel rides down on top of the powder and the dowel disappears into the tube as the powder level goes down.

MK

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

Put a little micro switch on the dowel as it goes down. When the switch trips is rings a buzzer both at the press and at the kitchen. This will then serve as a signal to the little woman to bring you some refreshment while you continue to load...

I truly am a genius...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

basicdesignmachine shot hopper

cleaning reloader shot and power tubes

oversize powder and shot tubes for hornady 366