1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clean powders-Clays vs. AS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vital_kill, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vital_kill

vital_kill TS Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Which is the cleaner burning, my brother has a very, very foul sensitive Beretta semi-auto. It will start having trouble within the third round of skeet. He uses green-dot respectively.
  2. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Clays is hard to beat with pressures around 9000 psi. chances are that beretta needs cleaning also.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Green Dot is a good powder for heavy trap loads but probably not the thing for light skeet shells. Clays will be alot cleaner in the 1 Oz and 7/8 Oz shells.

The Beretta auto should be able to gobble up just about anything any keep running, certainly more than 75 rounds. I'm thinking he has other issues with the gun that a powder change alone won't cure.
  4. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Try Alliant E-3 very very clean
  5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I'd be looking at the gun. If it "fouls" up after a few rounds of ANYTHING, it has a problem. Either it's not being cleaned right, or it needs attention in the way of repair or parts replacement.

I shoot an 1100 these days and Clays will "Foul" it up as fast or faster than anything else. The residue just looks different, but it's there. I don't use Clays for 1 1/8 oz anymore. It's great for 7/8 or 1 ounce loads. It seems to stack up and hit the wall, pressure wise, on the heavier loads pretty quickly.
  6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I second E3.. Cleanest powder I've ever loaded.. But.. I don't shoot a gas auto so Promo does just fine for me.. In any auto.. keep chamber pressures above 9000 psi for it to burn cleanly..
  7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Green Dot and autos are always a gamble. He may get by shooting the gun 'wet' with Breakfree CLP or Slip 2000, but a change to Alliant E-3 will give him and the B-gun their best benefit.

You didn't say what load he shoots, but I shoot lite all the time. Keeping the pressure up helps a lot. You can do that better with Clays than American Select. Alliant doesn't publish pressures for ClayDot, but it's finished in graphite and I've found it to be nearly as dirty as GreenDot. That's why my last 8# was E-3.

E-3 may take a wad and minor press adjustments, it's very low bulk, but I believe that it's worth it.

8. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Jul 14, 2006
    In addition to Clays and American Select, consider using Accurate's SOLO 1000 or 1250. Another possibility is IMR's PB or 7625 (both a bit pricey). The suggestions are all are single base powders and tend to be very clean burning, with little ash in your barrel and little graphite on your hands.

SOLO 1000 was the first powder to be marketed as a "clean" powder.

- - Bill
  9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    SE PA
    To answer your question directly, American Select is significantly cleaner burning than Clays. Neither, IMO, is a good choice for slow skeet loads.

I use a lot of e3. My standard 1oz loads are 1150fps and 1200fps. These are extremely clean in normal barrels, but tend to be a touch dirtier in large bore barrels (.740" and .745"). The 1200fps loads burns cleaner than the slower load in my barrels.

AM Sel, Solo 1000 etc. are too slow for skeet loads unless you are shooting 1 1/8oz.

If you are shooting 7/8oz @ 1150fps to 1200fps, try Alliant's new Extra Lite powder. It is very fast burning and clean as a whistle. It makes e3 seem dirty by comparison. Plus, it is very cost effective because you use so little of it, only 14.2gr to get to 1150fps.

Extra Lite is also good for 1oz loads at 1150fps. It is too fast to use for 1oz @ 1200fps. For that I'd go to e3.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.