1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Clean Burning Powder" Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I keep seeing references to Clean Burning Powder. Unless you have a gun with some moving internal parts, why do you care if a powder "burns clean"? I've loaded forever and agree some powders leave less residue than others but what difference does it make? It gets dirty, I clean it. And besides, I'm lazy. I have more to do than clean a "clean" gun. When I run a rod down a barrel, I want to have to wear rubber gloves. I want black stuff to run down my arms, ruin the shirt I have on, and puddle up on the carpet. I want to smell burnt powder and hear the wife bellow about the stink. I want the rod to be so messy that I have to clean it too. I want to buy wads by the bale and make Ed's Red by the gallon. When I show up at a shoot, it only takes a glance for my friends to look my way and say "Son of gun, Jim cleaned his gun!" Otherwise, how do I know I'm doing something worthwhile??
    "Clean Burning Powder", manufacturers wasted effort for me!

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Semi-auto's need love..

3. philk

philk Member

Gotta love that red dot.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I use Winchester AA Plus in my 1100. I clean the gun once a year, whether it needs it or not. HMB

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jim, your my kind of guy. Nunna that fancy/frilly pressed and starched shirt crap kind of guy.

When your really being lazy, just put a few drops of Hopped number 9 on and a few shots from the grease gun on your t shirt and jeans just to impress the boys at the club.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I like clean burning powder because it keeps my hands clean. My longtime favorite handicap load, STS hull, W209, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 and 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 WCM performs wonderfully in my barrel, but it is dirty as all get out. Just handling the just fired hulls to remove them and place them in the hull bag deposits enough grime on your hand that anything you touch afterward (gun/face/cloths) gets blackened. I still have a bunch loaded, but I've moved on to Solo 1000 and American Select for just that reason.

BTW, I do clean my gun- religiously, once a year, every year, just before the Keystone Open at Elysburg, need it or not. I must be doing something wrong, because I never get anywhere near as dirty as Jim does.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The new Red Dot is very clean if pressures are kept at 9K or slightly above.

I only shoot an O/U, so no issue about keeping a gaspipe's innards clean.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Clean burning is more a matter of a complete powder burn than slow versus fast. It's just easier to make that happen with a faster powder than a slow burning powder.

I shoot a B-303 and a Rem 1100 sometimes using either slow and sometimes fast burn rate powders and can shoot a lot of rounds with either kind before they actually NEED cleaned.

I mainly use Red-Dot and Green-Dot powders for both 1 oz and 1-1/8oz loads and the barrels after shooting are clean with both semi-autos and break open guns.

Getting a complete powder burn on your choice of load makes for a cleaner barrel/action. Prior to learning that, my 1100 barrel would have chunks of unburnt powder along with what looked to be wood ash in between, a septic pipe of sorts. When that was the load, some of that trash would somehow get into the action and create more mess. Great way to actually build a fire out the ejection port side on a semi-auto too!! Another sign is a fire actually burn in the action for a second or so!

Higher chamber pressures (mentioned by Shooting Coach above) are required to have complete consumption of powders whether they be slow or fast flavors. Some reloading manuals refer to such loads as being a ballistic balanced load.

HAP

9. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

Unless you're shooting a "jam-o-matic" it doesn't make a hoot of difference whether you load a "clean burning" or "ordinary" powder. Anything that needs to be done with a 12 ga. break action target gun can be done nicely with Red Dot and Green Dot

Search tags for this page

what is a clean burning powder for 12 ga