1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clean/Brighten Wood on old guns...?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Hello....I have a couple of nice old guns with high grade wood and what at one time was a high grade finish. After years of use the finish is now dull...not cracked of heavily scratched...any way to bring the finish back to life without refinishing? Ideas appreciated.....Thanks, WC

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mash on the link to the thread about "whiting".

ss

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Murphy's Oil Soap is where to start.

txt

4. Borderland

Borderland Member

Stock sheen and conditioner by "Birchwood Casey" should help restore some of the original finish...........Ken

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Murphy's to clean the wood. A light coat of a good penetrating stain such as Minwax will cover some imperfections. Automobile wax or a light coat of an oil finish will help a lot.

Pat Ireland

6. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

I recommend Ballistol. In addition to its other vitues Ballistol is a great wood cleaner and oil polish.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you eventually decide to remove theo old finish, Oxalic Acid is something you can buy at the drug store and is mixed with water. Cheap and easy to use. It is designed to bleach the wood to its natural colors.

This removes stains, etc, and brightens back up the wood.

It stinks, when being used, however.

WW

8. Gregor

Gregor Member

Try Milsek furniture polish and cleaner

9. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Hello and Thanks for the ideas...here is what I did and it worked GREAT....remove stock and wash with a strong very warm mixture of Murphys and water...I used a kitchen sponge with a smoothe and a rough side...don't try to be too gentle, really give it a good wet soapy wash...then rinse and dry....you will not believe what comes off. I then lightly sanded with very fine paper and steel wool, applied very light coats of Tru Oil, don't coat checkering until last coat, and lightly sanded between coats..finish up with a very light coat also on checkering....turns out really nice.

10. JDSENIOR

JDSENIOR Member

What I have found to best clean/refreshen furniture grade wood is a solution made of equal parts of boiled linseed oil, turpentine and vinegar. The mixture is applied with a light scrubbing using 0000 steel wool and removed with a clean cloth, followed with coat of pure carnuba wax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.