1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clean and care on bt99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I have a new bt99 just wonder what is the best oil to use and what to use on the hinge and how often

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Any good quality grease will do on the hinge and foreend shoulders. A little RemOil or some Hoppes Oil on a rag/patch will keep your BT99 like new.

Jay

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have seen my 99 form rust in the barrel during the humid summer in as little as 6 hours, BT's are bad about this.

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I've got a BT-99 I've had a long time (it's a 1970 issue). I can remember my dad telling me about getting barrel rust in his when shooting plastic shells in humid weather.

I carry a bore snake with Kano Kroil on it in my shooting bag, and I run it through the barrel after each day's shooting... and if it's really humid, I'll even run it through after each event. Though I live in TX now, I used to live in Michigan and Illinois. I've never had a problem with barrel rust using that maintenance method.

Oh, and I use STOS on the hinge. Kroil is a creeping oil and not really suitable for hinge lubrication. STOS stays put... even on hot TX days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.