1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays vs. Tightgroup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I am a new reloader and have been using Clays to load my preferred, basic round...1 1/8th oz # 8's and #8.5's. Ideally, I'd like a 1200 fps load, and Clays is good for that, but for handicap, I'd need a different powder...apparently, Clays is a bit too hot for a handicap load over 1200 fps loads. In looking at the Hodgdon web site, Tightgroup seems to be recommended for a wide range of applications. Is Tightgroup a good "one-size fits all" solution?

Many thanks.

WNCRob

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"Is Titegroup a good "one-size fits all" solution?"

Great powder for handicap loads. I suppose it could be loaded down and used for slower loads.

I think for one-ounce loads, Clays may be a better choice than Titegroup (but that opinion is based simply on the fact that this is what I do, and not based on any objective evidence.)

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Green Dot is the best handicap powder. HMB

4. agbubba

agbubba TS Member

Tightgroup works well at handicap; I like Universal Clays even better (less pressure for same velocity). Green Dot also a good choice.

Word of caution with Tightgroup: Volume of powder is so small that a double load of powder can go unnoticed. I verified this with a couple of dummy loads. With a MEC loader and Green Dot I use a 33-35 bushing, with Universal Clays a 31 bushing and with Titegroup a 18-19 bushing. If a problem occurs during loading, such as a primer not dropping or a hull tipping, extra care should be used not to get a double powder load.

5. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

To hmb and others. You and others have showed great favor to green dot for handicap loads. I have also heard the green dot patterns very well. I have no reason to doubt you but can you explain why it seems to pattern better and not other powders with same or similar burn rate. Thank you in advance. Mark Peterson

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

agbubba, caution noted. Excellent advice.

WNCRob

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why Green Dot works so well is a good question. It probably has to do with a number of things that work together to get good results. Powder volume, burn rate, charge weight and shot weight all seem to work together to get good results. Like they say the proof is in the pudding, many shooters have gotten to the 27 yard line using Green Dot. HMB

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Many shooters at the 27 also use factory Nitro 27 handicap shells. Those shells use a powder with the same or very similar characteristics to Hodgdon Titegroup.

To each their own.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Titegroup is an excellant 1oz and 1 1/8oz poder. It is very flexible when used in these two payloads. If you live in a area where it has a tendency to get cold, the temp doesn't seem to effect the shells performance.

The TGT-12 wad works well with both 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads.

As noted earlier, the powder is dense enough to make a double charged shell hard to spot with casual observation. A little bit of a trained eye, they're easy to spot.

18 grains is plenty from the fence, and 16.5 works well for singles.

Go buy a pound and give it a try.

ec90t

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

DITTO. Titegroup is a FINE POWDER.
    I prefer 1 1/8 oz. loads with a Rem primer/TGT12 wad/REM hull and 19 grains of IT.Nice thing about MEC bushings is that their BUSHINGS correspond pretty close to the grains of Titegroup. BUY a POUND and try it ! I use a MEC 650....and almost impossible to get a double load of powder.....without getting the previous shell with double shot.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Isnt Titewad used in shotshells and Titegroup for pistol??

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

dkusner,

19 Grains? That's a little bit heavy seeing that 18.5 is the max!

ec90t

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have tried all of the above powders for Caps, but prefer Unique.

Green Dot does a good job, but Unique generates less pressure. It may take alitle more, but most folks do not shoot a great deal of Handicap.

I have used Titegroup in 24 gram Intl' loads as well. It IS a very flexible powder.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Titewad for singles, Titegroup for caps. Nitro clone is 18 grains with a Remmy primer.

Smucks 'em good.

HM

15. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Art H...you're using 18.4 grains of Clays for 1 oz. loads? That's pretty hot. Same for the 1 1/8th oz loads? What primers?

WNCRob

16. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

THE REM REP TOLD ME 18.3 GRAINS OF TIGHTGROUP FIG 8 WAD

REM PRIMER COME'S WITH IN 5 FPS TO BE THE SAME AS NITRO 27

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

IMR 7625,

If you use a Fig 8 wad instead of a TGT-12 the crimp will be dished pretty bad. The dish will be deep enough to cause a loss of shot. Titegroup is a very dense powder and needs a 1oz wad to make it crimp properly.

The good people at Hodgdon told me that the Fig 8 and TGT-12 will interchange with each other and not cause any harmful effects on pressure. Just use the one that provides the proper crimp.

ec90t

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You're right ec90T.........18.5 grains of Titegroup MAX

19. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

YES I HAD THE SAME TROUBLE WITH FIG 8 WADS BUT JUST

PUT A LITTLE LESS CRIMP DEPTH AND THEY WORKED FINE

20. trap906

trap906 Member

aren't you talking about tightwad instead of tightgroup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

comparable burn rate tightgroup

tight group vs clays powder