1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clays vs int'l clays?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

for a 1 1/8oz load @ 1145 fps, which will offer less perceived recoil? I've used clays extensivly in a 1100, but i'm using an over/under now, so any little benefit i can get is appeciated.

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

International Clays for 1 1/8 certainly gives me less perceived recoil. I load STS hulls, Claybuster WAA12 (white) clone, Rem 209P primer, and a #30 mec bushing which drops about 18.8 gr. of International. It seems to me that the recoil sensation is less than the 1 oz. loads I use with 17 gr. of Clays using a Win 209 primer. Try International. Ed

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Actual recoil will be less with Clays, if you the same shell, primer, and wad, because you use less Clays than Int'l to get 1145 f/s with a 1 1/8 oz load.

Perceived recoil is dependent on the perceiver.

Jason

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

No difference in any load that has the same charge weight and velocity. Physics does not lie. Jeff

5. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

my lieing physics book mentions acceleration. add this concept to using a slower powder. ?

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've actually done both samples and couldn't really come to a conclusion that one was softer than the other. The Int'l Clays will, in theory, move the ejecta down the barrel over a longer period of time and that's the argument for "would feel like less recoil."....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No flame or argument here but If you really want to make a comparison, it would have to be with the same primer, same hull, same shot weight, same wad, same gun and barrel, and then load to an equal velocity. All the other mixing of apples and oranges (#7 1/2 oranges vs #8 apples?) will certainly confuse the issue. Switching primers, wads, 1180 vs 1200 or 1235 fps, yada yada can't be too valid with the personal "feeling" of felt recoil. The way I compared was as above and I really couldn't mark one or the other as significantly different...just HMO....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.