1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays vs Clays Dot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Remstar311, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

There is a huge thread on this. They are similar, but not the same. Alliant doesn't post very much data for the clay dot.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Remstar311

You are right that the powders are not identical. They are "similar". I would not use Clays data for Clay Dot and vice versa. Alliant did put up a bit more data, both in the downloadable and print guides. The data is also reflected in the online database. Unfortunately, the data is somewhat limited. They are BOTH great powders, but I would limit them to 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and very light 1 1/8 oz. Keep the pressures within reason (under 9500 PSI) and you should be OK. I would also strongly suggest that the data be used as written if you are approaching the 9000 PSI mark. Of course, Clay Dot is considerably less expensive. I'd save a bit more and buy Promo.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I load 1 1/8 for years with this powder. Winchester primer, hull and wad 8740 psi. Its not really designed for 1200+fps like quack is saying. All and all a great powder and an even better price. 50 bucks cheaper for 8lbs than clays for me. That keeps my loads under 375 a box and I'm happy with that.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I've found that Clay Dot throws a slightly heavier charge w/vol, but it seems a moot point anyway. Clay Dot is $20+ an 8lb jug cheaper, and Hodgen seems to have abandoned Clays, since it appears to be in very short supply, never mind they lost the lawsuit.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

What lawsuit? Did not hear about this...info appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I switched back to Red Dot when Clays became unavailable. I happen to like it better than Clays and will continue to use it for 16 yards, 18.0 grains/ Cheddite primer/ in AA or Remington hull/ 1 oz. Spolar wad/ #8's = 1,200+. Very comfortable. Hits hard and is quick = no head lifitng. Fred

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

I've used both and I don't know if they are identical, but I know I loaded them exactly the same and never could tell any difference (except the price, of course).
    John

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

EE- Are you sure? The same people, or at least the same laboratory that developed Clays also developed Clay Dot.

Pat Ireland

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Ed, here's a link to the PDF concerning the case. Apparently Hogdon was concerned about Alliant "stealing" the name "CLAY" and brought in an expert witness to substantiate the argument that using the name "Clay Dot" was confusing us trap shooters. (as a whole, an easily confusable group) Once I learned that Clay Dot was $20+ a jug cheaper than Clays, all confusion ended. Apparently the Court thought so, as well (grin)

http://www.websupp.org/data/DKS/2:06-cv-02100-71-DKS.pdf

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

So they have nearly identical burn rates, names and marketing strategies but are not even remotely similar?

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

EE,

I think you do err.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Mike Poore, Thanks for the info and the PDF! Best Regards, Ed

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Who cares??? "Pull" -- Bang! Fred

14. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

EE,

You really need to learn a little more, on how to do research.

For example, if you would look on a container of ClayDot, you would immediately notice that it contains both nitrocellulose AND nitroglycerine, the two needed requirements to be identified as a double base powder.

Okay?

Thank you,
    Longshooter

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

FYI

I have an 8 pounder of Clay Dot here on my desk, I just purchased it.

INGREDIENTS AS LISTED ON THE CONTAINER:

Nitrocellulose

Nitroglycerin

Diphenylamine

Ethyl Centralite

Rosin

Polyester

So, I would interpret this as a double base powder.

Frank

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/msds/msds_clay_dot.html

section 2

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

It would appear that the contents label on Clays differs from the MSDS. That situation shows up now and then in imported products. With other imports, it has been shown that both the container labels and the MSDS differ from the contents in the product.

Pat Ireland

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Anyone that spends much time perusing MSDS informational sheets will find that they can be woefully inadequate on the information train. They can leave much to be desired, not only for information, but also for accuracy.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

19. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I am glad to know that Alliant makes their powders in Radford, Virginia!

Someone else pointed out in another thread that Clays is imported. I knew that when I started using it ten years ago, but never gave it any thought when times were good. When it was pointed out a few days ago that Alliant is American made powder, I decided to switch and thankfully, my eight pound jug of Clays is almost gone. Now that I know that Alliant makes their powders right here in Virginia, there's no way I'll buy anything else! :)

I'm also going to switch back to GOEX black powder, but that will be awhile because I've still got about twenty-four pounds of Sheutzen powder left...

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude Abides..."

20. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

EE,

Thanks! I don't mind the rifle powders - my only smokeless rifle is my Garand and I have enough ammo for it to last the rest of my natural life. :)

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude Abides..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot vs clays

clay dot vs clays powder