1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays vs Claydot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

Is Claydot just as clean as Clays? I recently have been thinking of switching from red dot to a cleaner burning powder. I know alot of guys tell me Clays is a clean burning powder, but how does its cleanliness compare to Claydot? Thanks, gjmen

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

claydot is at least as clean as clays

I switched two years ago and like claydot a lot.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All powders leave something behind. Quite frankly, one powder can be dirty in one load and clean in another, depending on what you believe "Clean" is. If you select a load that allows the powder to burn properly within reasonable pressure ranges, it really doesn't matter what powder you are using.

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In my honest opinion, cleanliness is only really important in an auto loader, & the major factor in cleanliness for those who don't frequently clean their shotguns is the brand of wad used.

Phil Berkowitz

5. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Is Clays starting to be available again? I haven't been able to find it since mid-summer last year except in those damned 14 Oz. jars. If I can't find any Clays at Mason, I think I'm going to try ClayDot.

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

bobdog

Call Hodgdon. They got a large shipment a while back.

7. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I use Clay Dot for singles and Green Dot for handicap. I used to use Clays, but decided a year or so ago to stick with American made. I can't tell any difference in the cleanliness or shooting qualities of Clays & Clay Dot. Clay Dot is made in the USA and a good powder.

Mark

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Why are some people so all-fired concerned with "clean-burning" powders?

A barrel will only get so dirty... they're pretty much self cleaning.

Do they think a clean-burning powder will make them better shots?

If a dirty barrel bothers you, clean the gun.

MK

9. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I can't find Claydot.....Powder Valley Services has Clays which I use exclusively.

10. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

When Clays got hard to find I went to Clay Dot 2 years ago. Ain't looking back. Great powder and $15.00 cheaper per 8 lbs. And American Made!!!!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, and I know a couple of them personally, every member of the Hodgdon family (and Hodgdon has been a family owned business for 60 years) is an American.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

cp

Yes, Tom is still with the company. I shot a round of skeet with Tom a week or two ago.

And you are right, they are good people.

Other companies make fine powders. But Hodgdon is a local company for me. I drove by their offices today. Buying their products supports my local economy.

And frankly, I bristle at the American made argument when it comes to Clays. Alliant COPIED Clays, gave it a very similar name, and publicly states you can use Clays data. Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. Don't care what the court case said. Its a copy job. Show of hands...who shoots an American-made gun? Drive an American-made car (are you sure?) Your TV? Your toaster?

If you check their website and look at the MSDS data, you can see where their powders are made. The "Clays" family of powders are imported from Australia. Some of the IMR stuff is made in Canada, but even then, Alliant is known to have made 700-x for Hodgdon/IMR...so it is American made.

Titewad, Titegroup, Longshot, Lil' Gun, and some others are made in Florida (I think that's still the USA.)

Here's another thing. Alliant is a HUGE company that is into many, many things. Canister powders is an afterthought for them. Canister powders is all Hodgdon does. That's it.

Bob Hodgdon served on the NRA board of directors. Nobody supports the shooting sports, the NRA, Boy Scouts, 4-H, SCI, youth shooting, so on and so on more than Hodgdon.

BTW, if you use an extruded rifle powder, its made somewhere other than the USA, no matter whose brand you use. Nobody makes extruded rifle powder in the USA. Not even Alliant.

If you don't want to use Hodgdon powders because you like Brand A better, or buying Brand A supports your local economy, or its less costly, that's fine. But I don't buy the American made argument. Hodgdon is an American company.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

How consistant does it drop??? Does it drop as consistantly as Hodgdon's Clays does??? How many /10's of a grain plus or minus have you noticed??? Break-em all. Jeff

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

timb99- We have been over this many times and we simply disagree. Alliant powders are made in the USA, Clays is not made in the USA. Alliant did not copy Clays with Clay Dot. I personally know the Alliant powder chemist who instructed the Australians on how to make Clays. It took him about 10 minutes to work out the details. The Australians did not have the expertise to work out the method. It is true that Alliant makes both cannister powder for us and powder for military use, including the Australian military. The Alliant company is now in the process of building a powder plant in Australia for their military. The Australian Government asked Alliant to build and operate the plant. Six Engineers and Chemists went to Australia last November to supervise plant construction. Three returned in January because things were not ready for them. They will go back in June or July. The company that makes Clays in Australia did not have the knowledge or resources to build the plant.

I know you like Hodgdon powders, and you know I like Alliant powders. But if you were to begin a shot shell manufacturing plant and needed 60 tons of good quality powder made to your unique specifications, you could get it in about 60 days from Alliant or in a few years from Australia.

Pat Ireland

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I prefer to support a company that is interested in supporting me.

Send a simple email to Alliant and ask for advice or information or input on a problem and receive a reply or a call in a day or two.

Now try the same thing with Hodgdon. Notice the difference? I have never received a reply to any email I've sent to Hodgdon at any email address they have published.

MK

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"Alliant did not copy Clays with Clay Dot."</i>

Pat, with all due respect. Five years ago, Alliant did not market a product called Clay Dot. Now they do. It looks like Clays. It has the same properties as Clays. It has a similar name as Clays. It uses the same data as Clays. Their website says this:

Designed for competition shooters, Clay Dot™ is functionally and technically identical to competitive shotshell powders but at a reduced price. This American-made powder meters the same through reloading press powder bushings and functions with the exact same powder charge weights to achieve equal velocities and pressures. No need to change bushings or load data.

* Optimum load for light and standard 12 gauge target loads<br>
    * Available in 8-pound canisters only (2 per case)<br>
    * Proudly made in America

Principal Purpose: Light and standard 12 ga. target

Remarks:
    Designed to duplicate the performance of Hodgdon® Clays™ at an economical price.

But they didn't copy Clays? Really? Even THEY say they did.

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, its a duck. Or a really good copy of a duck.

I don't care if the chemical formula is different. They put this product on the market to compete with Clays because they lost market share to Clays. Pure and simple.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clays is a product of good old industrial spying.

timb99- If I tell you how to do something and you do it well, but later I start doing the same thing, am I really copying you? Timb99 lives close to the Hodgdon distribution center and he knows the family. I live close to the Alliant plant (Radford Army Ammunition Plant). Both of us have less than a total objective attitude on this question; however, we are able to view our differences in a polite manner. That does not seem to be true of everyone who posts on this site.

Pat Ireland

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In the end, both are excellent products. Use one or the other, for whatever reason you choose, and I think you will be pleased.

My reloads with Hodgdon Clays allowed me to shoot a 98 in singles today at KCTA Smithville, MO. I'm pretty pleased with that.

Shoot well my friends.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Since there are a lot of "similar" performing powders out there, I go for price. I'm cheap and use a lot of Promo. If you could Buy Clays at the same price as Clay Dot, it would be a toss up. Since Clays is usually more expensive, it's a second choice if I had to make one. Simple economics. Same for Green Dot VS International and Unique VS Universal. Twenty bucks is Twenty bucks. Performance is similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant claydot vs clays

alliant powder versus international clays

clays cleaner clay dot

clays vs claydot