1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays vrs Clay Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baber, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baber

Baber TS Member

I hear there is no difference. Is this rally true? I have been using Clays for years but like a lot of powders it's getting dificult to get and my club has some Clay Dot and want to see if it will fulfil my needs.

Tom

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

The two powders are significantly different from each other but Clay Dot meters like Clays and produces comparable pressures and velocities. That's what it is formulated to do.

Lister

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

ClayDot is also made in America and costs approximately 10% less! 17gr pushing any load works perfect!

AndyH ;-)

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are not the same powders. They are similar and it was the intent of Alliant to closely copy Clays and produce a similar powder. They produce different pressures in similar loadings, but still fairly close in many of them. I would caution anyone to use data supplied by the manufacturer of the powder, or at least use data specific to the "brand" you are using. The density is pretty close and the drops are within a tenth of a grain or so of each other. In similar loadings, the performance is basically the same. Since Clay Dot is less expensive, it gets the nod when I buy powder. Clay Dot seems to be more widely available these days.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

In my Mec, they meter the same with no adjustments.

Reloading data is the same as far as I can tell

Claydot is cheaper..........so what's not to like about it.

I've used 5-6 kegs of it and nothing but praise for it.

Your mileage may vary. ;-)

Hauxfan!

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clay Dot is supposed to be a slightly improved (I don't know how) version of Clays. Clays powder was designed over lunch for the Australians who visited the Alliant plant many years ago. That was a serious mistake made by a few chemists, but they did get a free lunch.

Pat Ireland

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Alliant makes powders for several manufacturers. Alliant makes 700-X for Hodgdon. Shoot what you like!!

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It's been a roller coaster with those two powders in my area. When Clays was sold out Clay Dot was availiable. When Clay Dot was sold out and Clays became availiable shortly after. Both were out at the same time for awhile. I've have 8 lbs. each now and find myself in good shape with powder for awhile, a long while.

9. oleolliedawg

He doesn't have to-I'm telling you the facts!!

10. max trap

max trap Member

Does anyone notice with Clay Dot there is powder residue all over the loader after loading for a while ? I use a Spolar and when it drops the powder you can see the fine (very fine) powder in the air with the right light. I've loaded alot of Clays and have never seen this. Thanks Ed

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have that problem with my 366. I've found making sure I put a primer in each shell alleviates the problem.... ;-)

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

If Allient were to serve as a sub-contractor and make a powder for another powder manufacturer (and they could easily do that) who was having either production quality or quantity problems, that relationship would remain private information.

Pat Ireland

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

According to my sources, Hodgdon Clays will be available shortly.

I use the real thing from Hodgdon, not the Alliant plagiarized version. And make no mistake, Alliant copied the performance of a superior product, because they lost market share.

American made? Is your gun American made? Your car? Are you sure?

Alliant's extruded rifle powders aren't American made. Federal doesn't necessarily always use American made powders in their cartridges.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Alliant. They're an American company. They have the Lake City facility here in the KC area, and I know at least one person who works there. They own Federal Cartridge Company.

But I get a little sensitive about the Clays/Claydot issue, and the "don't buy from Hodgdon because their powder isn't made in the USA" issue though.

I know some of the Hodgdon family members and some of their employees personally. Ron Reiber shoots at our club. I taught hunter education to Chris Hodgdon's son.

Yes, Clays is made for Hodgdon in Australia by a company that, by the way, also makes ground support vehicles for the US Armed Forces. Some of Hodgdon's products are made by other contractors in the USA, like Titewad and Titegroup (General Dynamics.) Some are made in Canada.

Hodgdon makes some of their own products (Pyrodex) here in Herington, Kansas.

Hodgdon is a 3rd generation American family owned business, and they probably employ 60 people here in Kansas. Their only product is canister powders. Hodgdon gives thousands and thousands of dollars and merchandise every year to the NRA, National Shooting Sports Foundation, SCI, 4-H, Boy Scouts of America, and many more organizations to help preserve our right to own a firearm. One of the Hodgdon family members served on the NRA Board of Directors.

Alliant is a multibillion dollar company, military contractor, and they employ thousands of people around the world. Their canister powder business is a VERY small portion of what they do.

For Alliant to copy Hodgdon's product, and market it under a strikingly familiar name, to me, is like Goliath going after David.

I think it kind of stinks.

14. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Does anyone notice with Clay Dot there is powder residue all over the loader after loading for a while ?"</blockquote>

It's not powder residue. It's graphite. Alliant uses a good bit of it in ClayDot to make sure it meters consistently. It's harmless... a tad messy but harmless.

We control some of it by transferring the powder from the big jugs to small powder bottles outside in the air current of a gently-blowing fan that blows some of the graphite away while we pour.

Lister

15. oleolliedawg

BeBop, you may want to discuss this issue further with an Alliant rep-if you know one!!

16. capvan

capvan Active Member

So where does "universal Clays" fit in all of this. It's all that is available around here...

Bruce

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

Capvan

Universal Clays is a slower powder than Clays.

They are not interchangeable at all.

Go to their web site.

Don Verna

18. oleolliedawg

timb99 is on the money!!

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know you guys know what you're doing but, be careful. Don't asume anything. Check and double check, then re-check. Don't get hurt. The powder situation will come around. As said it's been a roller coaster between Clays(my preference) and Clay Dot (bought 8# in a panic and really didn't have to) in my area. Both were out my last time at the shop but, not an issue now, I have 5 years of powner after senseless panic buying of it.

Universal Clays is generally a 20/28 ga. powder and alot of guys who reload pistols in 9mm and 45 acp, I think 357&38's use this also. If you can't seem to cross over correctly and easily call or ask here. I've never created issues for myself but, when you see Universal & Clays together it's easy to get confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clay dot 9mm powder loads

clay dot powder for sale

clay dot powder problems

clays dot reloading data
difference between clay dot and universa