1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays to promo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Ok i can not get clays so i went with promo. I want 1200 fps 1oz Gun club hulls drgt12 wads win 209 . The web site only gives me remington 209 at 18gr.How close will it be with a win 209 at 18gr.What bushing for 366 i do have a scale and i will check my drops. Thanks kirk

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

nailer123, I think you should call Alliant's ballistics department and ask. Here is why. Promo is composed of end lots of OEM powders. Primarily Red Dot and American Select. Red Dot doesn't care much about primers, and substituting a W209 for an STS209 mat raise PSI by a couple hundred at most. American Select is very primer sensitive. In one of my loads I have to reduce the powder charge by .5gr when I use W209 (vs STS209) and I still get 1400PSI additional pressure.

Your planned load generates about 8700PSI with the STS209, so you will probably be OK. However, it pays to ask. I'm relatively sure the advice given will be to drop the charge by .5gr and give it a try.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try 17.6 - 17.8 grains of Promo. That's about what does it for 1200 fps in the same load over my chronograph. I use the Winchester primer, so you should be close. As for the bushing, it will depend on the LOT of powder you get. Different Lots will have different Densities, so it will vary from one lot to another. ALWAYS check your drops, especially when opening a new jug, even of the same lot. Promo will usually vary by a few bushing sizes or sometimes more. With a Mec it might vary over a range of four or more bushings in the course of a few years. I buy several cases or more at a time, of the SAME lot number, to reduce the variations for a little while.

4. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Qwack Shot how do you like it.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

With the current batch of Promo I am using the 444 bushing on my 366. It is dropping 18.1gr to 18.2gr.

With the last batch I was dropping 17.9gr with same bushing. Promo has varied, but never enough to change the bushing.

WW209, Old style AA, Winchester WAA12SL clone and one oz 8.5's.

Recoil is fine and consistently breaks 23-25 targets. I think the misses are operator induced!

SW

6. JOND

JOND TS Member

Clays powder was available today from Ken Meyers{sp?} at the Michigan State Trap Shoot in Mason,Michigan. I believe it was $115 for 8lbs. JOND

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have had GREAT luck with 18gr of Promo in any load; whether 7/8, 1, or 1 1/8 oz. Can't beat the price either!

AndyH ;-)

8. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Will i end up with a 447 bushing 17.7 grains i checked the first ten all the same . I hate to change powder i like clays. You know how this game gets in your head .I'm going to try 100 on tuesday i will let you no how they worked.

9. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

If you like promo and I am sure you will,Do like Quack said and purchase several kegs from the SAME lot number!This powder varies from lot to lot so use your scale when you get a different lot #.PJ

10. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Its good but dirty for autos.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

nailer123

I shoot an 1100 and have no trouble with fouling or "dirt" using promo. I use it for the girlfriend's loads and she also shoots an 1100. I have three cases of Promo left and plan to buy more when it's gone. I guess you could say I like it. It's not the "best" powder I've ever used, but it is economical enough to make the extra bother of double checking each lot for loading density worthwhile. I have been using Green Dot extensively as well, so the fouling does not seem any worse with either powder. Comparing it to Clays, it's about the same in the fouling department. ALL powders will choke up the gun over time and I've never found a winner that won't.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Yes, Promo uses Red Dot data for powder weight. It will not drop the same as Red Dot as mentioned above - check bushing drops - typically, a smaller bushing than Red Dot is needed to get the charge desired.

Don Verna

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

titewad2

If the latest data from Alliant is to be believed, Red Dot and Promo data seem to be identical. Like Don said, the bushings will not be the same and with Promo, they will vary more from lot to lot.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

PROMO is the #1 selling Alliant Powder.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.