1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Clays to Claydot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay Active Member

Presently using Clays to load shotshells for bunker and wobble, using 17.5gr, CB0178 wads, 24gms of #7.5, and Fiocchi 616 primers in AA hulls. This load powders them if I do my part. Thinking of switching to Claydot (made here and cheaper). Seeking comments from those who have made the switch, from a performance and safety standpoint. Also from those who have switched from Claydot to Clays. Thanks.
  2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Active Member

Chichay:

I can't speak to your exact recipe but I recently bought an eight pound jug of Clay Dot. Prior to using it, I emailed the following question to Alliant:

"Am I correct in thinking that Clay Dot can be used in any published recipe calling for Hodgdon’s Clays?"

Alliant responded as follows:

"Clay Dot is certainly similar to Clays, but they are not exact. Loading data for each powder is very similar, but perhaps not exactly the same."

sissy
  3. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I am presently using Claydot after switching from Reddot. Claydot is a lot cleaner than the Reddot. I can buy the 8 lb, keg for about $88. I use a # 32 bushing in a MEC reloader. It is very fast and smokes targets from anywhere. I use 1 oz. for 16's and 1 1/8 for handicap targets.
  4. steve mainus

steve mainus Active Member

I made the switch a year ago and have no regrets. I think Clays is a little cleaner, but not much. In my 1oz loads, I was dropping 18 to 18.5 of Clays, now it's 17 to 17.5 of Claydot. Claydot is also about 12$ cheaper for an 8 pounder.
  5. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I too am considering switching from Clays to Claydot. Is Claydot as clean as Clays? Everything I have read is it's cheaper, made in USA, and will duplicate Clays performance. I'm down to my last 8# of Clays and will be purchasing powder late summer or early fall so I've got time for more research. I'm happy with Clays, but to save $25.00 per jug is worth considering. Thanks, Mike...
  6. zzt

zzt Active Member

Clay Dot is every bit as clean as Clays, and maybe cleaner. The difference is the soot from Clays is gray and hard to see. With Clay Dot it is black and easy to see.

I tried Clay Dot when it first came out and was rewarded with SDs in the single digits. It is one of the most consistent powders I've used. I'm on another jug of Clay Dot at the moment, because they were out of my favorite powder for bunker and 1 oz loads, e3. Now that Alliant dropped the price of e3, try a pound of it before you buy Clay Dot. Sooner or later I'll use up the half jug of Clays I've had lying around for years, probably to load 45 acp.
  7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Alliant introduced Claydot as a direct replacement for Clays. It was obvious that Alliant would not take the time to test and compare every Clays formula to determine that the two powders were identical.

I've had the Claydot versions of the Clays data I use tested for pressure and found no meaningful (cause for concern) differences. That being said, keep in mind that Claydot is supposed to mimic Clays velocity and pressure; the two may not drop the same weight through the same bushing. You will want to use a balance (or scale) to find the bushing that drops the specifiec weight of Claydot called for in the Clays data. Also remember that Cladot, like Clays, is not recommended for 1 1/8 oz. loads that exceed 1200 fps.

Keller
  8. bkt514

bkt514 Member

I have gone thru 3 - 8 lbs. Jugs over the last couple of years, and never had any trouble. I also like the new Alliant Extra Lite for 7/8 oz loads. Currently, it is Extra Lite and American Select in the man cave.
  9. John55

John55 Member

Been using ClayDot for several years now in my 1oz loads, great powder. Very clean and consistent, plus lots cheaper than Clays. Used to use that as well as Solo 1000, Red Dot, 700X and about everything else but ClayDot beats them all for me.
  10. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Well, it looks like I'll be picking up 16#'s of ClayDot this fall..... Thanks to all for your input.
  11. slic lee

slic lee Member

IMO, if you want to compare Clays and Claydot, make up some loads to equal Clays if you can,then when the next match comes around make up half and half. Use one half for the beginning and the other to finish. Also, compare how dirty your barrels are after using first half,clean quick then compare at the end. Other wise your playing with yourself to save $10 dollars. At the end of your life what good to you was saving that money.
    Clays was cleaner, a bit quicker,for 7/8's I used 16 for close, sometimes I put a cardboard wad reduced to 3/4 used 15, I always knew Clays would not change.
    I am a sick person, if the loads on firing arnt the same I fall apart, somethings wrong, dont dare and tell me I cant feel and hear the difference,I can, so can you. Its worth a few dollars more to get that. Lee
  12. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

Going to Alliant's reloading guide I see that they show no recipe for my load, 7/8 ounce of #8 in a Remington Gunclub hull with a CB 0178-12 wad, Winchester 209 primer and 17.2 grains of Clays. Tried calling Alliant and got a smart ass recording telling me to leave a message. Can't sell powder that way!

Pat
  13. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Clays recipes are found in the Hodgdon guide, not Alliant guide.
  14. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

I looked in Alliant's guide cause I wanted to try ClayDot in place of the Clays I am currently using. Just gave the Clays amount to show the recipe I am currently using.

Pat
  15. bigben

bigben Member

Chickhay, I have found in my experience a smaller standard deviation with Clays over Clay dot then others may have found over my chrono, I find Clays is cleaner, and many shooters think it is just in the barrel, NOT i so, powder residue migrates, and any gunsmith will tell you that when shooters that shoot dirty powders he will find internal receiver and trigger parts crusted with crap! and my pattern % are between 6 and 7 % better at 40 yds then Claydot. Should you be shooting for jus sh-ts and giggles, it doesn't matter, but for bunker shooting for ME, no question Clays all the way!
  16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Pat,

Your load is listed, but with a rem primer. It's good to go. Use the win primer, and go for it!
  17. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

When I entered the Claybuster CB 0178-12 the guide tells me there is no recipe with any primer. With the CB 0178 wad wnd the Rem primer it shows a recipe. Difference in the two wads?

Scooter,

Thanks for the info.

Pat
  18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote><I>"Tried calling Alliant and got a smart ass recording telling me to leave a message. Can't sell powder that way!"</I></blockquote>It's not as smart-assed as your comment. When the big shoots are on, the techs from Alliant are busy on the road meeting customers, answering questions and selling powder. There aren't enough of them to go around so you take a number and wait your turn!

Keller
  19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Pat,

Which two wads?
  20. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

Hey Keller,
    Try giving their toll free a call and tell me how professional the message sounds! If the techs are on the road then a simple explanation alluding to that simple fact would go a helluva lot farther than what they have on there. Gee, maybe something more business like or professional. The recording sounds like something that might be given for some head shop.

Scooter,
    They list CB0178 and CB0178-12. Tried asking for a recipe for the CB0178-12, which I hav, and the website told me there was no info available. Asked for the CB0178 and there are several listed with Remington 209 primers yet ClayBuster's does not list a CB0178 wad. Oh well, I'll stick with Clays.

Pat

Pat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.