1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays/Red Dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Been using Clays now for years and I like how clean it is, I can get Red Dot for about 10% less and I understand it is now cleaner. Both good I'm sure ,looking for opinions on Red Dot residue and how it now compares to Clays. Glenn

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I just don't understand why powder cleanliness is an issue! So many times I hear people say "It's too dirty". Phffflllltttttt!!! Makes NO sense to me! I have yet to notice ANY difference as far as clean-up goes with guns fired with different powders. Sure, some powders leave more residue, but we all clean our guns in a timely manner, RIGHT?

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I load red dot and thought it was as dirty as 700x but I switched from win. primers to sts and now it is very clean in my guns.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Went back to Red Dot because its cheaper and made here at home. Promo not available out here or I would try it. About a $12-$15.00 savings over Clays in an 8# container. In a Rem. 1100 Red Dot is a little bit dirtier than Clays, but in a break open gun its not a problem. If you want "dirty" than try Estates or Top Guns in an 1100, especially an older and tired 1100.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Glenn, Yes I find that the newer Red Dot is still a bit dirtyier than Clays powder is. But the biggest reason I still used Clays was the fact that it dropped much more evenly load after load. It only varied plus or minus about a one to one and half tens of a grain or so. Red Dot in my reloader varied over twice that. Other shooters on this site have agreed with me that it does not meter all that well as well. I know I should buy US made powder, but untill Alliant does a better job at updating there reloading site with all the new powders, wads, primers, and hulls like Hodgdon has, I'll stick with Hodgdon. Break-em all. Jeff

6. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Jeff, I too like the way clays drops. I'll probably just bite the bullet and stay with clays. It has served me well. Glenn

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

agking has it right. Go to Claydot and it will basically be the same load as Clay's.

On my Mec, I don't have to adjust for anything as the powders meter the same.

Hauxfan!

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have made my powder choice by availability. I believe most people when they cliam a powder to be dirty might be getting very incomplete burn of powder? I know when I shoot my 20g reloads with international from my 12g with chambermate. I get a lot of stuff in my barrel, as compared when shot out of my 20g. they also sound funny when shot out of the 12g with reducer. So powder choice for me is what ever can get me a few more rounds in. I would give promo a try if it could be had locally. I have ordered it through the club but supplier never seems to have it.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Glen, Clays and Red Dot are just about equally dirty. Clays residue id gray and harder to see. I stopped using Clays because the residue is slightly gritty and I worried about what it might do to the action (probably needlessly given how many others shoot Clays).

Red Dot residue is mostly graphite. It's black and easy to see, but it never gritty. My beef with Red Dot is that it coats the hulls with graphite as a slightly oily sludge. I hate handling Red Dot reloads (even "cleaner" burning hot loads) because it makes my hands dirty, and that dirt always seems to end up on my pistol grip, shirt and pants. Promo, for some reason, is even worse.

I agree with those suggesting Clay Dot. It is a little faster than Red Dot, as is Clays, and is considerably cleaner. I used a couple of jugs and really liked it.

My favorite fast powder is e3. It is clean burning and consistent. Powder drops are as precise as Clays. I keep trying all the others, but I always return to e3.

10. IndyJohnO

IndyJohnO TS Member

I too started out with Red Dot and changed to Clays for all the reasons mentioned above.

Then five years ago, I went one step further and jumped to Solo 1000 because it was as clean as Clays, the powder charge is about the same.

And the price is right $265 for 25 lbs.

JohnO

11. nipper

nipper TS Member

i use red dot for 1 reason

i load it for 20 gauge and 12 gauge,i like to keep everything simple, 1 powder,1 primer, etc. etc.

if i knew i could use promo in 20 gauge then i would probably sawp to it

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.