1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays powder unstable?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Paper Skeet, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

I just started reloading. I chose Clays powder, because I heard it was so clean. It really is clean. After 4 rounds of trap, I can hardly tell the gun has been shot. I've heard the powder doesn't store well. You need to use all of the powder and shells you load within 3 months of opening the bottle. This shouldn't be a problem in the summer, but it means I can't load up a bunch of shells in the winter to use later. Does anybody have a suggestion for a powder that is as versatile as Clays and as clean without the instability?

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I don't know where you heard that Clays powder does not store well but that certainly isn't my experience. I use shells that I have loaded using Clays some years ago, (just how many years ago I can't remember) without a problem. I think it's a great powder.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I thought most said temp was the problem didnt do good in cold weather rick

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Paper Skeet

I used up a ten year old open bottle of clays last year and it worked as well as when it was new. I've had loaded rounds sitting for a couple of years that worked as well as the day they were assembled. I don't know where you got the idea, but someone has been spreading bad information. You can load clays and not worry about what you have "Heard". It's a Crock!

5. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Thanks guys. It's veratile and clean. I just didn't want to pull a "K-80" on my 682 :)

Jack

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have bought many pounds of powder from retired loaders. bought clays with a dat of 2001 on it. Red dot from 1982. it all went bang.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And of course, my unopened can of Hercules HiVel #2 is still good too....

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I believe you have been fed a pile of poo.

FRedmon

9. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Yep - poo poo. If someone had a problem with Clays, they should check out their loader.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Jerry B,

Perhaps you would share with us your secret for knowing the difference between someone who is trolling and someone who has an honest question? Or is your comment meant as a put-down to those who provided an honest answer in good faith? I wish I had your ability to read other people's minds.

Easystreet

11. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Sorry guys. Not trolling, just asking a question. I just started reloading (MEC Sizemaster). I tried a small contained of Clays for my first loads and loved the results. I went back to the club and asked about an 8 lb. container, and the propieter didn't want to sell it to me because he said single base powders would go unstable in 3 months. I went to the Hodgdon site and couldn't find anything to confirm. I went to the Chuck Hawks site and found that single base powders go unstable if exposed to sunlight and high temperatures for extended periods. Just exposure to air (opening the bottle) doesn't affect them. I guess the owner of the club just got some bad information, and was trying to look out for me. You guys confirmed that I could load shells this winter, and use them next summer.

Jack

12. JCS

JCS TS Member

Don't worry about it .

If those Morons elect Osama Bama , it will be illegal for you to own a shotgun by next Spring anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.