1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clays powder plant explosion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Alliant....

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

This is an internet rumor that got started, that I wasn't able to verify anywhere. You think that some news organization would have some kind of information on this, if it actually happened. It's amazing what people believe just from word of mouth. I heard it was an explosion set off by the government to destroy Obama's true birth certificate. Mark

PS. I just got off the phone with Mike at Hodgdon Powder, phone #913-362-9455, and he confirmed that there has been NO fires and that they running at full capacity. Mark

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Follow the link from the Hodgdon website.

Scott

4. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Call the # mark gave above dial ext2 dealer support Chris said the shotgun side will be down for the rest of fhis year. Rifle side is running at capacity. He did say they had alot on the way but might be a lull in supplies later in the year. As far as explosion or fire didn't ask. Thanks Rich

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The burn rate chart is your friend.

6. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

I have a problem believing it is just a "demand surge." Every reloader I know is shooting the same amount of powder they did 2 years ago, on average, and there was no shortage of any brand or type of powder. There are a few more people at the range who have taken up reloading, but the increase is maybe 10%. It isn't like demand here has tripled or something.

And because of that there is NO POWDER ANYWHERE? It makes no sense.

I don't know what's going on but whichever company figures out how to get a good powder to me next month is going to be APPRECIATED AND REMEMBERED!

7. BigM-Perazzi

Opening up the last of my HiVel #2.

8. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

There was no fire, but the shotgun side is going to be down for the rest of the year? Just isn't worth fooling with when all you charge is $160 for a 8lb jug???? Lying SOB's!!!

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Don't rely on or trust burn rate charts. The Hodgden chart cited above places Bullseye as slower than E3, Red Dot, Promo and Clay Dot while the Alliant reloader's guide places Bullseye as faster than all of those. Anyone believe Bullseye is slower?

10. BigM-Perazzi

and, try this...

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

E-mail correspondence I just received back from Chris Hodgdon.

Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:35 PM
    To: Chris Hodgdon
    Subject: Fire

Chris,
    You are being quoted on Trapshooters.com as confirming that shotgun powder production has ceased until the first of next year, according to a phone conversation you apparently had with a poster named 7mag. I talked to Mike at your business and he said there had been no fire at any of your plants and that production was in full swing. Could you please confirm or deny these reports?
    Thanks,
    Mark (oregunner)

Mark

I think the best thing to say right now is that the truth is that we’ve shipped more powder in 2013 than ever in our 66 year history. We are shipping hundreds of thousands of pounds of powder every month, 75% more than last year with no end in sight. We’ve shipped tons of Clays powders and will be shipping more. All powders are in short supply no matter what it is.

12. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

An evasive answer if ever there was one. Failure to deny is an admission.

13. BigM-Perazzi

as stated. ask ADI. nothing in the Aussie news... and they are apparently the major ammo supplier for the AU military...

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

But but I told you guys, I shot with a guy who knows a guy who shoots with a guy that walks the owners dog. He said what is really going on is the fluffer operator stubbed his big toe and will be off for 7 weeks on Workmans Comp. As soon as he gets back to work and starts fluffing again, all will be back to normal. Just Say'n....

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

It's a wonder any one makes powder anymore. Hodgdon blew up the whole works in 2009 also. At least according to the internet they did.

Wonder if it's connected to the pitch plants that keep burning down.

16. Stermy

Stermy TS Member

Anybody try to buy a set of reloading dies lately? Just guessing that people are not hording them. lots of new shooters and reloaders out there.
    Maybe there was a fire at RCBS???
    In the end it will be a good thing more law abiding shooters less chance of government intervention.

17. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If you need powder, Grafs Reloading had a bunch 2 weeks ago at the Missouri State Shoot. That is Grafsreloading.com in St. Charles, and not Grafs.com which is also in Missouri but a different company, related but different.

18. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

Hodgdon "will be shipping more" because there is powder in transit to them that was made before the fire.

A weasel could have made a better denial of the fire and of the cessation of production for several months. Since the shelves are bare everywhere, we really don't care how much they shipped out 4 months ago.

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The burn rate charts can be used as a starting point to find a comparable powder - and then go to the actual recipes to get speeds and payloads you really want. Finding a replacement is done through the recipes, but you've got to start somewhere. Look above and below the powder you've been using but cannot buy. Don't like the charts? Go straight to recipes.

Are Alliant powders scarce now too?

20. alf174

alf174 Member

Hodgdon Powders is not in Maine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clays powder

clays powder shortage

fire at hodgdon plant

hodgdon australia plant blew up

hodgdon plant fire