1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays or Clay Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

Hope someone can give me some information or experience with clay dot. I use a lot of clays but can't find 8 lbs containers of clays in my area and really don't want to pay the extra 20% for 4 lb containers. Does the clay dot burn as clean as clays and load the same? The alliant book I have does not list Clay Dot, Looked on the alliant web site and the slowest recipe was 1200fps with 17.2 grains. For 16s and the first on doubles I only need around 1145 Thanks Mike K.

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

It loads the exact same as clays. It is just a slight bit dirtier. But it saves you 10 to 15 dollars so i think it is worth it.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Clay Dot is very close to Clays in loading and performance. It is, however, NOT identical. Alliant has a lot of data on their site to cover quite a range of loads. Some will tell you that you can use Clays data interchangeably, but I won't. I would rather rely on current data from the manufacturer, in this case, Alliant. Double check the loads you wish to use and have at it. I wouldn't worry too much about loading it down a little for a lighter load. It should still be loaded at a high enough pressure to ensure complete burning and good cold weather performance. I would worry more about the upper end of the pressure/velocity ranges, especially with 1 1/8 oz loads. It's a great powder, especially for $15 or so less a jug than Clays.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I switched from Clay's to ClayDot about 3 years ago and I am entirely satisfied with it.

I have an adjustable charge bar and I can go from one to the other and it still drops the same amount.

As for being dirtier........hard to tell...Okay, I'll say a little, but not enough to make a difference.

Cost wise........Claydot is cheaper and it gives me the same performance, and that's why I use it.

Hauxfan!

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clay Dot is clearly superior to Clays. Clay Dot is made near my home by Americans and we need the jobs.

If you don't use Clay Dot, Alliant could get into financial trouble and require a government bail out. This would eventually raise your taxes and promote inflation. With this additional burden, you might not be able to make your mortgage payments and lose your home. So, use Clay Dot and avoid foreclosure problems.

How is that for logic?

Pat Ireland

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Claydot is a great once ounce powder. Claydot has no recipes for 3/4, 7/8 the pressures are too low for a clean burn & 1 1/8 loads are limited to slow loads. best to all

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Alliant sure must have thought they were losing too much market share to Hodgdon, so they copied Hodgdon's premier powder.

Alliant is a HUGE company that sells, among other things, ammunition to the government. Canister powders are a very small fraction of their business.

Hodgdon, who also employs American workers in Shawnee, Kansas (my home town) and Herington, Kansas, sells canister powder exclusively. None of the Hodgdon family members or employees I have met speak with a foreign accent.

Buy from Hodgdon and keep my Americans friends employed.

Shall we all get rid of our German and Italian guns, and buy American-made trap guns?

8. nords

nords Member

A question? Quack Shot said "make sure pressure is high enough to get complete burn powder"
    high range is 11,000? What should low stay above?

9. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

8600-9200 will give a clean burn & low chamber pressure.

10. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I was setting up a loader for a parent and they wanted to try Clays Dot powder on their MEC press. I went to the web site and they said 17.6 grains was max. On Hodgdon's Clays, I have been known to run a MEC bushing of 33, 34, or ? To get it to a consistent drop, as measured by my digital scale, we had to cut back the Dot powder to a 21 bushing. I had read that Dot was just like Clays. A bushing drop from 34 to 21 is significant to me. Good thing I checked my grains. They may even drop lower to a 20 bushing. YMMV IMHO. Omaha

11. jtf650

jtf650 Member

Omaha: I'm sure you know what you're doing, but something sounds wrong. Mislabeled bushing, or maybe mislabeled powder. I've used both Clays and Clay Dot at around 17.0-17.5 grains, and used either a #31 or #32 MEC bushing for both powders. I would be very concerned about the discrepancy you're describing. Is there any way to absolutely, positively confirm that it's Clay Dot and not another powder?

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I have the most recent Alliant Powder Reloading Guide and a number of their loads for7/8oz, 1 oz. and 1 1/8oz calls for loads up to 20.5 gr's of ClayDot. I use a #32 & #33 MEC bushings for my loads of Claydot and they weigh out pretty darn close to the MEC charts, although my heavy load is only 18.2gr's

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

nords

I try to keep it over 7500, with 8000 to 9500 PSI as a target. I usually don't load anything much over 10,000 PSI for target use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant clay dot
alliant clay dot in stock
clay dot load data

clay dot powder

clay dot powder in stock
clay dot powder reloading data

clay dot powder review

clay dot vs clays