1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clays or 700x which to use ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdhog, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdhog

jdhog Member

Thanks for looking at this .I,am going to start reloading with AA shells
    and been told to try these 2 powders ,What do all you have to say about them and maybe what wad and primer would you recomend .
    Thank you for your time .
    James Droster

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've used many kegs of both. Go with the Clays. Meters perfect, and the cleanest powder I ever used.

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I keep trying different powders ... but always come back to Clays!

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Clay Dot.....meters nice and is clean! No experience with 700-X

5. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

I love powder talk,to me these are pressuree powders for 1 1/8 loads,and recoil
    to much for caps,cause of their fast burn rate,Id use them for 1 oz 16 yd targets.For 1 1/8 its green dot or International clays etc.Always check drops
    with a scale,and crimp depth shoulder .055,enjoy..............

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Clays. I've been using it since 1994. Yea, a bit more expensive but I like the results.

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Don't forget Clay-Dot.
    Around here it is cheaper than Green/Red dot and almost as cheap as Promo.

700X is a great powder just kind of expensive.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Both good powders for target loads. Given the choice I would pick CLAYS everytime. Sometimes you don't really have a choice though an you have to use what you can get. 700x is a good second choice.

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Both good. For me its 700 due to the fact our club carrys it and I can get it reasonable and quick.

I know 700 wont flow as well through a loader sometimes that is just a fact. I think the larger flakes tend to stick. Granted you shake it good and watch it no problems but I dont think you have to do all that with clays.

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I use Red Dot, 700X, Clays and American Select in 12ga.

Unique in 20ga

and Green Dot in 28ga.

Chuck

11. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Go to Alliant's web site and compare data for your preferred loads...and also look at e3...I like it best for 1 oz loads and for some 1 1/8th oz loads. Have used Clays, Clay Dot, Red DOt, Promo...like e3 best.

WNCRob

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I use a AA hull, 17.5 gr of 700x, cb1118 wad, ounce and an eighth of 7.5's. Winchester primer. A perfect 1200 f.p.s. load.Bill

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You don't say what you're going to load, ie shot weight--speed--etc. For consistency with light loads, 700X hands down. 700X & Clays are both a fast powders & build pressure fairly fast. As per emmylou1, If you shoot 3 X 1&1\8 you might want to consider PB--7625 in IMR or Green dot--Unique in Alliant or Int. Clays--Univ. Clays in Hodgens. 1st purchase should be a "good" scale. Be SAFE--have fun & welcome to the world of reloading. Ross Puls

14. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I use 700x or Red dot

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Long time Clays user... just trying my first Clay-dot... which was 10-12% less expensive and supposed to perform similarly... AA-type wads, Winchester 209 primers...

Jay

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

James, I started reloading about 35 years ago, using CIL's C300, which was a recovered artillery powder, exactly equal to 700X. When that ran out, I bought 700X. As I was running out of a keg of 700X, Clays was released, to great hype, so I tried it, and was happy with how it metered, and how my reloads broke targets and took down grouse. I would try other powders, but always came back to Clays. When ClayDot came out, I tried it, and would use it again, over Clays, just because it is identical in weight and performance, as well as being cheaper than Clays, and just as clean burning.

As I moved back in yardage, I realised that Clays was not a good choice for my handicap loads, due to pressure issues at the top end of the scale, so I started loading International Clays for Handicap, and kept using Clays or ClayDot for singles and doubles.

I have since decided to simplify my life,and my reloading, and stick to one powder for all events. I settled on International Clays, because I can load it down to about 1125-1130 fps for first shot in doubles, a little faster (1150-1160 fps) for singles and second shot in doubles, and up to 1225 fps in Handicap. I load different speeds for the events because of my style of shooting, and find these speeds give me the breaks I need with low recoil, and I don't really have to change my leads or hold appreciably at the different yardages.

Using all the same components, just changing powder drops, I get clean, consistent, effective loads, without the worry of getting the right powder, primer, and wad for the load for that event.

This history lesson is a longwinded means of answering your question, and I apologise for the length, but wanted you to see the progression of the reloading process, as the shooters requirements change. So, to answer your question, I would recommend Clays or ClayDot, as being equal ballistically, with ClayDot usually being cheaper. For primers, I would use Cheddites, as they are ballistically equal to Winchester, but usually cheaper. Wads are no contest. DownRange wads are the best, so choose the one for your preferred load weight. You may find other wads for less money, but the DownRange product is, to my mind, the best there is.

Hope this helps.

17. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Shooting Sailor,you nailed it,Im sick of two powder loading,Im going to marry
    Int.Clays like you advise,Thanx,you made it clear............

18. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

TWO POWDER?! I wish it was that simple around here....

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use Clay , Clay Dot and 700x. What ever I can buy is what I use.
    Hear in NY it's buy it before the next guy gets it.

20. t901

t901 Member

I use the clays for 1oz and solo 1000 for caps
    I find that with the AA it is very full with the clay in 1/8 loads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x powder for trap