1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays is back!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Just got me jug and none too soon...

regards all,

Jay

2. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Cangrats Jay. I guess you don't live in Wisconsin. Still pretty hard to get here.

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Too late for me... switched to Red Dot a few months ago and like it better. Hogdon blew it [no pun intended]. Fred

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

same as fred. Was using international clays, wanted to switch to clays, my dealer didn't have any, so I went to red dot, and i'm loving it so far. Will continue to use hodgdon for my subgauge shells, but i think i'm going to stick with red dot for 12ga for the time being.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Who has Clays? Been trying to find some.

Tom

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

More 100s shot in trap with Red Dot than any other powder. HMB

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Probably way more targets shot at with red dot than any other powder HMB. Its a top seller.

8. DitzMan

DitzMan TS Member

I just got an 8 pounder from Denny's in Hubbard OH.

9. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I was just at olde english in tipp city Oh they have a keg for 140.00 plus tax we joked how we could get 2 kegs of promo for that. Kirk

10. spitter

Steve:

Check with Recobs?!

regards,

jay

11. spitter

CP... with shooting as much mental as physical skill, its one less thing to worry about when you're confident in your load... as least in my opinion. Clays shortage has been relatively short-lived and not due to the manufacturer - why stop using what works?!

regards all,

Jay

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Jay: You stated "not due to the manufacturer". Well who or what? Fred

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Funny story regarding Red Dot. One year at the Grand several years ago, I was walking on vendors row and looked in on the Red Dot people and no one was in there. Just to give him some foot traffic I walked in and was talking to him about his " low volume". He then informed me that they still sold more than half of all the shotgun powder that was sold. Moral of the story, don't judge a book by it's cover".

Also, I hear people talking about shooting a powder because it is clean. For me, I still know how to swab a barrel and clean a gun. If it would get me one more target per hundred, I would shoot dirt.

Charlie

14. spitter

Fred:

Clays shortage (as well as certain firearm models) was a result of good ol' American consumerism. Look at the past year of shooting sports purchases... guns, ammo & ammunition components - flying off shelves due to "fear" of the OBAMA...

Retailers, not understanding the dynamics (or maybe understanding them all too well?!) put no initial limits on quantity and sold everything they could (and who can blame them?). Manufacturers strategically produce product during the year... it takes time to retool a line and from what I'm reading, manufacturers are still working at capacity to replace inventory.

Clays as well as its siblings became "scarce" due to nothing more than economics... look the recent discussions of primers... plus, as we all wrote about the problem of obtaining Clays, it stirs more "fear" in readers, who tell others AND as a result, folks buy all the remaining inventory in anticipation of a further shortage... creating the self-fulfilling prophecy through hoarding.

Hopefully the message that Clays is available once again, will lessen fear and allow balance to restore.

respectfully offered,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.