1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clays Internat'l power

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAD, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Member

Clays Internat

Just checked Clays Internat'l power,19.8gr.,windjamer wad,winchester primer,sts hull,1 1/8 oz. shot.Book says 20.1gr. should be 1145 fps these all checked out over 1320 fps.Is the book wrong or me.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

There is something very wrong somewhere. I have loaded almost exactly that load (19.7 gr)with Blueduster and DRRF8 wads and they chrono ~1130 to ~1160 fps depending on the wad. I would strongly recommend that you don't fire any more of these loads until you figure out what is happening.

1. Have you fired a factory load through the chrono to see how it reads.

2.Are you sure you have International Clays and not Clays. That would be a over pressure load with Clays but based on Hodgdons data it should produce a velocity similar to what you have.

Good Luck --- Chip King ---

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Nothing wrong with the load. What type of hull are you using? A straight wall hull will get you your results. A AA or Remington hull @ 19.7 or 20.0 grains of International, AA primer, Blue duster 1 1/8 wad will = about 1250 to 1300 ft./sec. Maybe a little faster. Important to identify your hull and weigh your powder drop. The chronograph. Fred

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

A full choke will chrono 40 fps faster than a cylinder choke with the same load.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That is what the book says. You must be doing something wrong. Maybe your cronograph needs to be calibrated. HMB

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

Is your powder scale working correctly?

And as mentioned above try a factory load through the chrono and see how it compares.

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Clays Internat

You'd be surprised how quickly pressures/ velocities can stack up when seemingly little things are different from the baseline load. Add .010" or .020' to the standard crimp depth of .050" and increase the wad pressure a bit and both pressure and velocity will climb.

Lister

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't think it would climb over 175 fps. HMB

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

RAD: We need more information to help you. You are not only dealing with feet per second But also foot pounds of striking power. When you start dropping below 1,100 ft./sec. AND move back in yardage [27] and you don't take the target really quick, you may not have enough striking power to break a target. It takes 2 ft. lbs. of shot pressure to break a target. Under the conditions that I listed, and if you ride targets out you may have a lot of dust... no pieces. 19.5 to 20.0 grains of International in a AA or Remington hull, 1 1/8 load of shot, Winchester or Cheditte primer [or Remington or Federal], Figure 8, blue duster, or spolar wad [etc.], should give you a really good load if properly crimped... Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.