1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

claydot vs reddot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bullseyebill, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullseyebill

bullseyebill TS Member

I've seen a lot of discussions of Clays vs Claydot but was wondering about Claydot advantages or disadvantges with Reddot.I'm using RD now in light 1oz. trap loads and they work fine,but was thinking of trying some Claydot.
    Bill

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Clay Dot is cleaner, but if you are having good results with Red Dot, and I'll bet you are, leave it be.

Clay Dot is fast, and does not like full powered 1 1/8 oz loads in some hulls.

A GREAT powder for lighter 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Around my area you take whats in stock

Clays, Reddot, Clay dot bullseye thats about all you will find and seldom in
    Quantity

Im with the rest if you like your results with what you have changeing is not going to do much. Unless you can get it a lower price.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Clays/Claydot and Red Dot/Promo are, all, excellent 1oz & 7/8oz powders.

If you're shooting an auto, Clays is a little cleaner than the others.

Bob

5. team henges

team henges TS Member

I always load winchester super target in almost every 1 oz or 1 1/8 load that i load. And it works fine for me

brendan

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If it isn't broken.......

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Shot well over a thousand rounds of Promo through my 391 and still have not cleaned it. No problems cycling. I got lazy this past month and should clean it but.... switching to clay dot and playing 30 bucks more a jug isn't morth it.

Promo is cheap and I load 7/8 up to 1-1/8.

8. SRT8

SRT8 TS Member

Clay Dot was designed exclusively for light loads (7/8 or 1 oz etc). It's fast, low recoil makes it a great first shot in doubles.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

SRT8- I did not know that and my friends at the Alliant plant who designed Clay Dot are not aware of that. Red Dot and Clay Dot will work well in 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads.

Pat Ireland

10. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

When I tested Clay Dot vs. Red Dot(/Promo) in 24 gram (7/8 oz) bunker trap loads I found that Clay Dot was noticeably softer to shoot for the same chronograph-checked velocity. The A-B comparison pattern runs for both barrels showed a cooler core and a bigger fringe.

In the end though, I'm with maclellan1911: it comes down to what's on offer at the pro shop -- that's what I'm shooting next. Since Red Dot(/Promo) is virtually always in stock and I've been shooting it for more years than I care to admit, that continues to be my first choice.

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.