1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claydot and 7/8 oz loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Alliant shows no load data for 7/8 oz (12 ga.) using Claydot powder. I have read that you can directly sub Claydot in place of Clays. Clays lists several 7/8 oz recipes. Can anyone confirm this to be accurate?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Clay Dot is manufactured to produce the same ballistics as Clays but using a different formulation.

I've built 7/8 oz loads with Remington hulls, DR-XXL 7/8 oz wads , Winchester primers and Clay dot powder from the same formula in the Hodgdon data. At 8,900 PSI it works fine. Or you can substitute the Federal primer for the Winchester and pump up the pressure 1500 PSI. While Clays and Clay Dot may not produce identical ballistics in every case, the variances that exist don't concern me with a 7/8 oz load.

Keller

3. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

I use 17.2 gr Clay Dot in Rem hull Chedditte primer with a Claybuster 7/8 grey wad. Works well.

Gary, Arizona

4. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I have both AA HS hulls and Rem Nitros. Along with CB0178 (grey) wads, and Win209 primers. Clays has a recipe for these components. I see the CB0178 are subs for the DRXXL.

Keller, how many grains you using and fps? I like to stay close to 1200 fps.

5. Unknown1

17 grains of Claydot with the Winchester primer will give you 1200 fps plus or minus maybe 15 fps if the club's chrono is to be believed. The Federal primer gives about 1260 with a little less deviation, probably due to the higher chamber pressure.

Keller

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Thank you sir

7. Raystownbob

Raystownbob Active Member

The Alliant 2013 load data online shows 7/8 oz. loads using Claydot with Remington hulls. I have loaded lots of them in the last year with no problems.

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"The Alliant 2013 load data online shows 7/8 oz. loads using Claydot with Remington hulls."</I></blockquote>That data was there last year, too. The problem is that Alliant again followed the routine of publishing data that uses a hull and primer from the same manufacturer. The 1200 fps loads are really low pressure. I think you can do better with Hodgdon/Clays data.

Keller

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

That's why Alliant makes Extra Lite powder. specifically for 7/8 oz 12 ga loads...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot loading data

loading data for clay dot powder