1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claybusters vs WAA's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pelopidas, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelopidas

Pelopidas TS Member

Claybusters vs WAA

As the cost of components continue to rise, I was curious as to performance experienced others using Claybuster wads in place of Winchester. My reloading includes 12 ga 1 1/8 oz, 12 ga 1oz, 20ga 7/8 oz, 28 ga 3/4 oz, and 410 ga 1/2 oz, using Remington and Winchester hulls only, Titewad, Longshot and H110 powders. Except for the 12 ga 1 1/8 load which is used in a semi-automatic the other loads are fired in an Browning over and under with tubes. Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is see if your reloading machine likes them. HMB

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use those same gauges with the same brand of shells and I now use Claybusters 99 percent of the time. I personally have never had a problem with them except some plastic fowling in the choke tubes but I experienced some of that with the Win wads. I do use different powders and have never had a problem with that either. Jackie B.

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I've used them for years,no problems.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

cb's is all i use.

6. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Don't forget to try some other ones that are better than CB's and WAA's. The Down Range Wads are better than both, and they are not so flimsy and floppy. A LOT less plastic in the chokes too. They also slide thru the reloader slicker than snot on a brass door knob!

I've used at least 35,000 of them. 7/8,1oz and 1 1/8.

7. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Just made the switch from WAA to CB for both 1 1/8 & 7/8 12 gauge loads. I noticed immediately that the crimps were tighter and in fact looked like a factory load. Using a Spolar loader. Try it, you'll like it.

8. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I use Claybusters and cannot tell any difference between them and other brands. Claybusters go through each of my reloaders just fine and don't leave any more plastic in the barrels of my guns than any other wads I've tried.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Make mine Downrange as well. timb99 said it best.

ss

10. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

I use claybuster and downrange and can't see a bit of difference. The last several years I have bought downrange at the Grand for $75 a case out the door and thats a good savings over what I have had to pay, so I am using more D. R. and no difference. Just my 2 cents. RON

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

have had good luck with all C.B.s that i have tried, & Rem. TGT, RXP,& fig.8 etc. but not so with D.R.'s (too many odd sounding one's but they did break targets)just my $.02 worth. Ross

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never had a problem with Claybuster wads.

Pat Ireland

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have been using Claybuster wads in my reloads for 7-8 years now and cannot tell any difference in performance vs WAA or Western wads. I have also been using the Claybuster clone for the 1 oz Federal wad when reloading Estates and Walmart Federals. They all seem to work okay, but at $9.00 a bag, not much in cost savings compared to WAA or Western.

14. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have loaded over 45,000 with Claybuster Wads and no problems. I use a MEC 900G

Allen

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Loaded a lot of shells (thousands) successfully using Claybuster wads and only had the "snap-crackle-pop" problem with 12 ga Remington hulls (did not load AAs). Switched to Downrange exclusively in the past few years because of price and "perceived" quality. Regards, Ed

16. smokestack

smokestack Member

I used Claybuster's but have switched over to Downrange because of the plastic fowling. They both load fine in all 3 of my reloaders.

Paul

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Downrange..

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Pat Ireland. I've used CBs a lot, not exclusively, since the 70s with the idea in mind of supporting those that have gone to great lengths to keep the cost of wads, and thus reloading, to a minimum.....Bob Dodd

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I switched to Claybuster for the same reason you did. Also, I sold Claybuster an add in our state shoot program 20 years ago and the company is still benefiting from me for that advertisement.

Pat Ireland

20. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Does distance that the wad travels with the shot stream matter? Because DownRange seems too really travel and I've never seen them fall just past the trap house when shooting from the 16 as I have others.

A quick comparison between the DRXXL which is capable of being used in both a 7/8 load as well as a 1 oz load of #8 (dual purpose) with Remington shells and red dot where as the CB1100-12 can only be used for 1 oz loads (single purpose). {As per Alliant recipes}

I also find a difference in weight DRXXL = 42.1 grains CB1100-12 34.9

My conclusion is that I'm getting a better value with DRXXL and I'm delivering a tighter pattern.

But hey what do I know - I only know what I read on the internet

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.