1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

claybuster wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WJH, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJH

WJH TS Member

How would everyone rate the claybuster wads. I have been using the remington STS
    wads exclusively. Just wondering what the best substitute might be .
    Thanks for your input.
    Bill

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Bill, I'm using the Claybuster CB3118-12A for Remington hulls (STS, Gun Club), and they work just fine. These are for 1 1/8 oz loads.

I also tried the CB-1118-12 (Win AA) wad in STS and Nitro 27 hulls, and they load and work fine.

Just one man's opinion.

Best,
    Dennis

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have used Claybuster 1-1/8 and 1 oz. Winchester clones. I think they are something like CB1100-18 and 12 for part numbers. They are fine, work ok, and do build up a tad bit of plastic, probably more than OEM wads. I have probably 15000 of them in my closet to use up, and I clean my barrels and chokes regularly so no big deal.

If you are seeking to purchase now, I would suggest you check out Downrange wads, as I really felt after testing, they are a great wad. Can't speak to build up, but the wad feels slicker, and I think Kevin at Downrange really supports this site.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Kevins at downrange Remington tgt12 and fig8 wads a great. I used up the last of the TGT12 clones. Although the Remington factory stiched wads are a lot easier to load on my loader. They stay right on the wad/shot tube. Kevins wads worked great and paterned well.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The claybuster Remington clones are OK. I like the Downrange versions a little better. They seem to pattern and perform as well as the originals.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use the OEM Remington TGT12S and Fig8S wads in Remington hulls as they go through my MEC Grabber with ease. Other clone wads give a loud snap that displeases me.

For Federal cases, I use the CB 12S0 clone, 12S3 clone and 12C1 clone. They work well but do build up plastic.

Ed Ward

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned guy, but since I can buy Remington wads for the same cost or maybe five bucks more per case than the clones, I prefer to use the actual wad designed for and used in the brand of hulls I shoot by the company that manufactures them. They're even sitting on the shelf at my local dealer's - I don't have to wait for them to arrive or pay any shipping charges.

Having said all that, I have used copies as well as other types of wads with no adverse results in the loading of them, their performance on targets or the feared "plastic left in the barrel." But I did do a little eye-opening comparison wad test that will appear in an article in the near future.

Ed

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used CB wads interchangeably with Fed and WW factory wads ever since they first came out. I've never had an issue with the CB clones but would never turn down a deal with originals. I'm also quite impressed with the DownRange wads and would happily use them. As far as the "plastic left in barrel" syndrome, it just doesn't seem to happen with my gear and maintenance.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clay Busters are the worse wads manfactured. Everytime I have bought them, the petals are all bent, and I'm not going to put new wads in the wifes dryer to straighten the petals. Buy Downrange if your going to buy a clone. At least the petals are straight.

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I would strongly urge you to NOT use Claybuster wads. When I did I had nothing but major plastic build-up. Since I have used Dusters and currently Downrange.
    I see no reason to use anything but Downrange as they load THE BEST of any wad I have ever used and are backed by top-notch customer service.

Tim

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a friend that bought a case of fig 8 wads and has complained about them from the beginning. He loads with a Mec 650 and says that are the worst wad he has ever used. He normally uses CB wads. I have been using Winchester and CB wads for a long time and can't say one works better than the other. I have no real experience with downrange personally. I have checked the patterns with both of the other brands and never saw a mentionable difference. I would also say my opinion is that plastic build up has a lot to do with the choke tubes. I used Briley extended choke tubes and have never had very much build up at all. The original Beretta choke tubes were bad to get plastic. The same was true for my Franchi choke tubes. I primarily used CB's because that was what was available through our club. If Park and Sons has downrange I intend to try them as I understand they are price compatible with the Claybusters. Again, this is my opinion only. Jackie B.

12. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok to you all as far as 12 guage wads goes in the fedreal line of wads.

I never had more plastic build up than the factory federal wads.

I guess it has a lot to do if you have choke tubes in you gun ok I do have 1 barrel that has tubes but the ones I shoot al the time are fixed chokes.

And I never clean my barrels because they look clean anyway so why do it.

Ok maybe the choke tubed barrel look's different but really I hadn't looked at it since a year and a half ago.

All I know is that Claybuster buy's the best stuff and maybe they need to buyn some cheaper stuff instead.

Fog

13. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

I'm with Foggy on this one. I also shoot a fixed choke gun and just don't see any plastic residue regardless whether I shoot Downrange fig8s, Claybuster fig8s, or OEM Remingtons. Probably a different story if I had choke tubes. The only cleaning I do is run a dry patch through the barrel every 500 rounds or so.
    Frank

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

CB wads work well on the whole but they tend to produce about ±10% higher chamber pressures than the OEM wads they duplicate. They also tend to be a bit taller in the crush portion or a tad wider in the powder cup so an adjustment of the loader's wad ram is sometimes needed to maintain low wad pressure.

The petals of CB wads are thicker than OEM petals (sometimes up to twice as thick) so the wad acts to further constrict the shot load as it exits the barrel. In effect, it tightens the choke. Shoot some at paper to determine how/if they effect your pattern.

Morgan

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used Claybusters since they came out. I can't say they foul any more in my guns than other wads. Those of you whose guns have excessive fouling are a mystery to me.

Most of my guns have choke tubes, and porting. I don't have all the drama some folks have when I clean my firearms. I just clean them and go load more shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best claybuster wads for reminton hulls

best shotgun wads forums

cb wads in choke tubes

claybuster wad plastic

claybuster wads for remington hulls

what is reason for the stiched petals on the remington shotgun wads