1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claybuster wads for 7/8 oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen-MX8, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Can someone explain the pros and cons between CBO178-12 and the CB4100-12-B wads for a 7/8 oz load?

I load Winchester AA hulls (both old style & new style)using Red Dot powder.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Allen

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

The CB4100 (Lightning) wads generally allow less pressure, have a bit more capacity and can be used for 1 oz loads. They also come with their own loading data. The downside, according to others, are the 8 petals which cause some to have loading issues. I, for one, use them regularly for shorter yardage shots. 16 gr of Nitro100 works great for either 7/8 or 1 oz loads.

AndyH ;-)

3. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Do yourself a favor and try some Downrange XXL Pink wads. They work GREAT for 7/8 ounce loads in AA's with Red Dot and won't leave those long streaks of plastic in your barrel like the Claybusters do. ....Rick

This wad maybe substituted for these popular wads.

WAA12L and CB0178-12

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

For the AA hull with a 24 gram//7/8 oz shot load, try the CB1100-12. This is the Winchester 12SL copy. I see better uniformity in the patterns and more consistent crimps with good old Red Dot than with the CB0178-12L. It's also easier to pick up and stuff in the wad guide increasing production speed.

- - Bill

5. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Ok this thread I can relate to, I am seriously wondering if Claybuster has done something different to their wads. I have loaded with these for over a year and recently have started having trouble with the wads. I was at the Cardinal Classic, and they were giving away those downrange wads, I do one ounce, and they gave me the green, red, and light purple ones, I came home and love the little three or 4 petal ones. They shot great, But I found the hull was really hot. I normally use green dot, Winchester 209 and the Winchester hulls. Nice load in either the 7/8 or 1 oz. Claybusters may be cheaper but I am going to give these Downrange wads some serious considerations!!!

Deb

6. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks to everyone that responded. The information is quite helpful.

Allen

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Allen,

Try some 7/8 oz. Duster wads. They load and shoot great.

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cb0178 12 load data

cb0178-12 load data

cbo178-12 loads
claybuster cb0178-12
claybuster cb0178-12 load data
claybuster lightning wads load data

claybuster wads load data

waa12l reloading data