1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claybuster wads collapsing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave kr, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave kr

dave kr TS Member

I reload 1 ounce loads using CB pink wads. I use a Mec sizemaster, gun club hulls, 17 grains of Promo, Fiochi primers, and West Coast hard 8 shot. The pointer on the wad guide barely moves when putting in the wad, the crimps are perfect and everything works well. Just recently I shined a flashlight on a finished hull and was surprised to see that the wad had collapsed, the sides almost looking like a X. After a little trial and error I saw that it is collapsing during the final crimp. Is this normal for these wads?

Thanks Dave

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I use the same wad with 18 gr Promo, Wolf or Win Primer and one oz of #8 in AA or STS hull on my Pacific 366 and I have not seen that problem.

SW

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a normal thing for a wad to collapse a little during the crimping operation. As long as they are not badly distorted or cocked. These wads were originally designed to be used with some very dense powders, so they will likely collapse a little when a bulkier powder is used. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.