1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claybuster vs. Downrange wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Clay Addict, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Knowing that trapshooters rarely give advice, I thought I would still ask the question. I use Claybuster CB110012 wads (1 oz AA style). I was considering the Downrange Jammer XL-1 or their XL-1.

Any pros or cons.

2. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I have found the Downrange wads to load "slicker" and without the plastic buildup in the choke or forcing cone.......merlyn........

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Last year I used 15,000 of the CB1100's and did find a bit of plastic build up.

I recently got 20,000 Green Dusters and find they seem to load easier and are better formed (far fewer bent petals). I have also ordered 15,000 XL-1's based solely on reports from others who like them.

I saw no discernible difference between the CB1100's and GD's when patterned.

Don

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Downrange. No contest.

Primarily because my machine doesn't seem to like any Claybuster wads. Lots of hanging up in the wad fingers, and unpleasant clicking noises.

Couldn't tell you if there's any actual performance difference between the two when you pull the trigger.

Also, as Merlyn noted, much less junk left in the choke tube.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Nix on Claybusters anything.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Downrange has a new WAA12SL clone wad for 1oz loads that they released within the last six months or so. I think it is called the DRA-12 or something like it. It looked a bit better than the Claybuster CB1100-12 and appeared to load and pattern well. It loaded effortlessly into everything I tried them in and there was little velocity difference when compared to the WAA12SL. My only complaint was that my free sample ran out. :( I will certainly be considering these wads when I deplete my current supply of 1oz wads.

7. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

The DRA-12 is slightly shorter (overall length) than the Claybuster version - it loads extremely well into the new AA hull, and all other hulls as well.

Ron Schroer - Sun City, TX

8. C H S

C H S TS Member

The thing I noticed about DR wads is that they seem to be an odd length compared to other wads.

I got in on a conversation with a heavy-set guy selling DR wads at the CAC trailer at the Penna State Shoot and I told him that I had tried some of their pink WAA12SL and their green XL1 wads as samples and I couldn't get them to load properly. They seemed too short. He asked what powder I was using and I told him 17 grains of Clay Dot and he said that the wads I was trying to use worked better with bulkier powder. I told him that I believed what he said but how the heck was I supposed to know that their wads were for some other powder than I use. That really irritated me and I walked away before I said something I didn't mean. But I will stick with CBs and factory wads rather than try to figure out what powder DR designed their wads to use.

Andy

9. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

After loading the last 10k with Downrange Windjammer's, I ran out and had to fall back to a local supplier that only carried the Claybusters. 500 rounds and many epithets later, 2 cases of Downrange WJRPL arrived ,and I could not rid my bin of the Claybusters fast enough

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I use CB wads almost exclusively, and have enjoyed the results. That said, I have noticed some plastic build up right around the forcing cones, and inside my Briley extended chokes. I simply run a wire brush through that area extra times, and soak the chokes in acetone occasionally when I see it. I give my guns a "surface" cleaning after I shoot each time, and give them a complete "going-over" when I see that there is a slight amount of plastic in the choke, which alerts me to check the barrel. That is on my break opens, automatics get a bit more cleaning each time.

I suspect CB's might have a touch of build up compared to other brands, but I have about 20,000 or so to use up before I switch to Downrange wads. I have received samples from Kevin via this forum, and really enjoyed the way they run through my P/W and they seem to pattern well. If they lessen buildup, that would just be a extra bonus. There does seem to be a verifiable difference in the "slippery" of DR vs. CB, so the change will occur when I run out of my current supply.

11. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

I'd ask Barry From Omaha Sporting Supply, he sells the kind of wads you arer looking for and could give you advice on what to use.

Mr. Marcy

12. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

The Downrange wads are made from 1st quality all virgin plastic, and will outperform anything else that is available. DRA-12-pink

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

C H S

Clays and Clay dot ARE bulky powders! That guy might not know what he's talking about. Get hold of Kevin at Downrange MFG. He posts here on occasion and you should be able to get his contact info if you search this site for downrange wads in the threads. I had NO trouble with Clays powder, and the Clay Dot is pretty much the same density and is rather bulky. I get 18.2 grains of either out of a #33 MEC bushing. 17 grains might be a touch light, but I have loaded 17.5 with no trouble.

14. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

piranha2 and all those that have never seen plastic residue.

Pickup a 15 - 20" long bottle brush in the ga. you shoot, with brass bristles that extend approx. 5" down the wire shaft of the bottle brush, spray some type of penetrating fluid or solvent down the barrel and then scrub the bore with the bottle brush from both ends. Now look down the bore and what do you see, nothing but plastic residue that you have cut out of the bore. Take it as a fact that all plastic wads leave some residue inside the full length of the bore and choke tubes.

Enfieldwill thanked this.
  15. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Not a big fan of Claybuster. Especially their WAA20 clone which barely fits in the damn hull enough to crimp it.

Downrange all the way in that comparison.

Although, I like Duster wads better than just about anything if I can be allowed to throw that into the mix.

16. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

I just bought a bag of DR. They ARE much smoother to load. In the new style AAs after a few reloads all wads want to hang up near the bottom. What is up with that ?? DRs work best if I seat and reseat the wad a few times. (till I see wad preasure where it should be. Any wads that work better in the new AAs that are well used ?

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Plott Hound

Which Downrange wads are you using? The DRA-12 seem to be pretty good for the 1oz loads. I have used the authentic Winchester wads with no trouble. The Claybuster, Duster, and some of the Downrange clones have worked well. The wads intended for straight walled hulls do not always work well. Wads without the small grooves on the over overpowder cups also can give some trouble. These are the grooves that go longitudinally, up and down, or lengthwise depending on how you want to describe them. The original Winchester wads have them and I believe there may be a reason. If the circumference of the over powder cup is perfectly smooth, it may be the reason you are having issues as you described.

18. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

The longitudal groves in the overpowder cup allows traped air to excape when the lip edge of the gas seal engages the tapered base of the hull. Those wads that are missing these groves trap air and sometimes prevent the the wad from seating as it should down on the powder.

19. JonP

JonP Member

My 2 cents,

Much more plastic build up with Claybusters and a lot of bloopers on their 7/8 oz Winchester clone (gray) which is due to tipped or cut over-powder cups I believe - a lot of "klicking" thru the wad guide fingers as mentioned above.

For me, Drownrange XL-1 (Neon Green) but NOT the JXL-1 (purple jammer type) work great. The JXL-1 jammer type petals are flimsy and mutilated out of the bag and make them hard to get over the plunger/shot tube without jamming one of the petals up the shot tube and also getting shot between the petal and the hull - they easily double to triple your reloading time and increase the chances of spilled shot and powder - they are a pain to load on a MEC.

The Downrange 7/8 oz. neon pink are great also(for tapered hulls like Remingtons and AAs). I also have been using them to load 3/4 oz. with great results in Remington hulls - what a sweet load!, I hope I don't develop a flinch when I use the heavier loads!

Jon P.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not tried Downrange wads yet. By trying the wads, I mean loading 5,000 of them. I have used Claybuster wads for many years and have not seen the problems others have described above. When I buy wads, I pick up 10 to 15,000 and I have not found a dealer around my area that stocks Downrange Wads in quantities. I did load and shoot a small sample of Downrange wads and could not distinguish any difference in performance between them and Claybuster wads. Both worked well for me.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
claybuster vs downrange

claybuster vs downrange wads

claybuster wads vs factory wads

claybuster wads vs winchester wads
claybuster white vs pink
downrange vs claybuster
downrange vs claybuster wads

downrange wads