1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Claybuster fig. 8 wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KENENT1, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I purchased some clay buster fig. 8 wads, when I load them with my 9000g they collapse and pop through the wad guide, some times it even bounces the shell in station 1 up and it gets caught in the resizing collet, am I missing something???

it is almost like the fingers in the wad guide are closing up too tight.

anybody else have this problem?? Is there a fix??

tony

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Next time buy Downrange, this is a common problem with Claybuster wads

LOU

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What hull are you loading?

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I'm loading sts, nitro, gun club remingtons.

tony

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

maybe your wad fingers are not deep enough in the mouth of the hull and the powdercup is catching on the edge or lip of the hull?? I think downrange is just a tad smaller they do load easier than the claybuster. Have used both. How many did you purchase?

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have 1000, it's strange how the wad collapses and then pops through the wad fingers, everything looks like it's aligned, but I have had a couple of the ends of the shell roll in.

I can try to lower the guide a small amount.

tony

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tony, Raise the wad guide. You want as high as you can set it and still have it work.

Jim

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I have raised the guide up to where I have to fight to get the wad over the shot tube and it still pops.

tony

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I had the same problem as you in the old Remington Premier (pre-STS) hulls. I solved it by switching wads.

I didn't know there was a problem with STS/Nitros/Gun clubs; but then I never went back to the Figure 8 wad.

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

are the other stations giving any trouble.. like it is just a tad bit out of time? I know it the wad pops thru the fingers before the fingers get inside the lips of the hull it will roll in the hull at the top.

Gotta go to work.. but maybe try downrange. Take the other wads back or someone here would purchase them.

Good luck!!!

11. 2shot

2shot Member

Tony,I have used that wad for years in Rem. hulls with the same problem. Sprinkle a little baby powder in the bag and shake up it makes them a little slicker and loads easier. Do yourself a BIG favor and go with Downrange wads. I do not own a claybuster any more and I load 25000-30000 a year. Regards Mike

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

You are experiencing a common problem that all Claybuster wads have. Do yourself a favor and switch to Downrange. I sell them, and can get you the best price on bag, case, or pallet load.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    "The Scattergun Store"
    (270) 804-5454

13. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have experienced the same pop with Claybuster figure 8 wads. I have since swithched to Down Range figure 8 wads. They seem to load as well as the Remington figure 8 wads and no pop.

Down Range was nice enough to advertise free samples on this site. I tried them and bought a case at the PA State Shoot.

Dr. Honk

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try giving MEC a call. It sounds like what you are experiencing is a little abnormal. A little pop or click might be normal with the Claybusters, but if it's severe enough to have hulls jumping in the press, it sounds like something is wrong. There are some adjustments to the rod that the wad guide is attached to, that are critical for proper function.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

tony- I noted that you said a couple of the tops of the cases had edges that rolled in. This is a classic symptom of a wad guide problem. I have learned the hard way that the only good way to inspect the plastic wad guide is to take it out and look at it carefully.

I do not load the wad you are talking about, but I can assure the couple of posters who stated that the problem is common to all Claybuster wads are incorrect. One poster who said the problem was common to all Claybuster wads recommended another brand of wads that he sells. Claybuster wads and the brand he recommended both work well.

Pat Ireland

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I loaded the first 500 with baby powder and it helped quite a bit, after I re set the wad guide, they still poped quite a bit, the second bag of 500 I powdered up with the baby powder and they act like a different brand of wad, there is no poping, they slip right in the hulls...........go figure!!

thanks for the help!!! the baby powder worked the best.

tony

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Having sold most types of presses and components over the years, all I can say about Claybuster wads is,,,, I use them!

Try going up and down a smidgeon with your wad guide. If you cannot go down enough, remove the limiter tab on the wad guide retainer. There will likely be a sweet spot for you. Be aware that Remington hulls vary in length to accommodate different types of powder they buy.

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Pat,

I think that you were referring to me above. Well, not only do I sell wads - I also load and shoot them. I sell Downrange, but I sell other wads as well. The reason I push Downrange is the fact that I think they are the best. I have loaded every type of Claybuster that there is. I do believe that Downrange is a better wad. Most of the Claybuster wads I have loaded, popped when being seated. Some people it doesn't bother, some it does. I have nothing against Claybuster, but I like and promote Downrange. I said above that I can ship Downrange by the bag, case, or pallet. The same is true about Claybuster also.

Matt
    Woodson Enterprises - "The Scattergun Store"

19. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Try the blue duster that might help as they a lubed also. alex Kotter

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Claybuster = JUNK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claybuster figure 8