1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Target Summit Conference Report

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Target13, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Target13

Target13 Active Member

I'm pleased to report back to you that the Clay Target Shooting Sports Summit held this past week in San Antonio was a complete success. Close to forty(40) individuals attended representing ATA;PITA;NSSA;NSCA;NRA;NSSF;USA SHOOTING;IHEA;and TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE. THe three major topics discussed were:
    1. How all the clay target governing bodies might begin to communicate better with one another on common issues that affect each. Many feel that all the organizations should communicate with one another more often and by communicating, we can work together on some things and our numbers will be strengthened.

2. The role of the local gun club - how important it is in developing shooters and communicating to the shooters. The local gun club's importance in developing shooters, either registered or recreational is important for our shooting sports.

3. The role of Recreational shooters and shooting - are these areas that the governing bodies wish to go out and promote? The feeling of some was that this recreational segment needs to be examined and ways and programs need to be developed with the hopes that many might eventually try registered shooting.

To be specific, a National Clay Target Advisory Council was formed that will attempt to meet twice a year. This Council would be made up of three folks each from ATA-PITA-NSSA-NSCA-USA SHooting. Additionally, there would be representation from Industry; Shooters in each discipline; Range Owners from each discipline plus NSSF-IHEA-NRA. The role of this Council will be advisory in nature-they will advise their respective organizations on issues affecting each one of us that are discussed in this meetings. For the first two meetings of this group, I will sort of be the "developer of issues" and moderator until someone in the group steps up and wants to moderate and handle the future proceedings. The development of this Council is the very important first step in opening up communications with each organization and the networking of ideas.
    The entire group of Summit Participants was very much in favor of giving this concept a try. As a result, a second meeting will be scheduled for mid-summer that is to be announced.

Secondly, in response to the importance of our local gun clubs, a satellite committee of Gun Club Operators and Owners from all the disciplines will be developed to discuss specific issues facing them plus how they can assist the governing bodies in developing more shooters for their disciplines, both registered and non-registered. I would like any range-gun club Managers or owners that would like to participate on this committee to drop me an email. AS I said earlier, we want representation from all the clay target sports. Again the role of this committee with be to advise and provide info to the National Council on gun club matters and issues related to registered or non-registered shooting.

Finally, in the area of Recreational Shooters and Shooting, Bill Poole of the NRA Shotgun Division and great supporter of ATA Shooting plus Rick Patterson of NSSF and Executive Director of the National Association of Shooting Ranges will chair another satellite committee that will report to the National Council. This committee will begin studies on the role of recreational shooters; how working with these groups might bring more into the registered games plus how the governing bodies might incorporate these shooters into their programs . IT is clear that all the bodies in the clay target sports realize the future importance of the recreational shooter and how the local gun club will be very important in their development.

In a nutshell, a lot was accomplished by a very dedicated group of individuals. Yes, there were disagreements ,but each organization pledged its help and felt this was the first step in a series of many that ultimately will have all of us in the clay target shooting sports working for the same thing. Your representatives from the different clay target organizations deserve a huge pat on the back and thank you for their efforts - this was truly a long overdue meeting.

I'd like to also thank the NSSA and NSCA for allowing us to conduct this meeting on their grounds and for their staff on making us all feel welcome.

Phil Murray

2. Target13

Target13 Active Member

I knew I might forget to list all the organizations that attended the Summit and I DID !!!!

Forgot to mention both Jim Tyner and Gary Bombalicki representing the NATIONAL CLAY SPORTS FOUNDATION out of California - my apologies for this oversight.

Also attending was Dan Wade and Ken Wood of SPORTING CLAYS Magazine, as well as numerous Industry folks.

If anyone would be interested in the roster of attendees, please let me know and I'll post the attendees on this site

Phil Murray

3. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Thank you Phil.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.