1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay target prices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Terry, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry TS Member

I spoke with our supplier last week and he told me that they were just advised of a price increase from White Flyer. We just got a load on April 24th and they were $8.21 deleivered. The price this week will be $10.02 delivered. The price of poker keeps going up and up.

T. Barnhart

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I was at a club yesterday and was told that Lawry targets were also going to $10 delivered.

Just talk at this point as an order had not been placed, but I assume it reflects the raising cost of fuel.

---------------

Sunday, May 18, 2008

DAYTON — Since the start of the year, 935 trucking companies with five or more trucks have gone belly up because of rising fuel costs, according to a report by Donald Broughton, a longtime industry analyst with Avondale Partners LLC.

"That's a 50-percent increase from fourth quarter 2007 and the highest since 2001," said Kevin Burch, president of Dayton-based Jet Express Inc., a primarily Midwestern freight hauler with 100 company trucks and 200 owner operators.

Just five years ago, truckers paid per diesel gallon $1.48, which included tax, compared to $4.35 per diesel gallon today.

"Drivers like to drive 500 miles a day," Burch said. "A day run up to Flint, Michigan, and back, averaging six miles per gallon, you're looking at paying $362 just to fuel up."

Burch said that in the decades since he's worked as a trucker, the industry has faced similar high fuel prices.

"But this is the first time, I can honestly say, there's no place for a driver to go," he said. "Small companies are drying up and big companies aren't hiring because the economy is slow and they're not adding trucks."

Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, told the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee that small-business truckers, in particular, "are experiencing unprecedented operating cost increases and are being forced to make tough decisions in the name of saving their businesses and providing for their families."

For Jet Express Inc., driver and Kettering resident, Clay Elam, 56, who owns his own semi, each day starts with the question: Is today the day I bail out?

"I'm somewhat optimistic, " Elam said. "It just seems very difficult, though, to hold on to optimism, but you hang on to hope. It's a starving industry."

Elam said the rising fuel costs are taking away two thirds of everything he makes.

"In the good old days, you'd get back half of what you've spent, but each day that passes, it gets more and more expensive," he said. "You know, I bought my truck for $120,000 and pay about $75,000 each year in maintenance and fuel."

Elam said he and his family have had to make several changes in family spending because of the impact of high fuel costs.

"Fuel costs are killing us. We're all in struggling mode, and only the strong will survive," he said. "It comes down to, what comes first? Maintaining your truck, versus losing your house."

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Don't truckers just add a surcharge for fuel to their billing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.