1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay or Clay-dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trrapshooter, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

Have been using Clays Powder for a few years,someone at the Westy Hogan this year said that Clay-dot is about as close to or the same as Clays. Has anyone tried Clay-dot and if so how was it?

Thanks for any info
    Steve

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have made my decision by what is available. For what ever reason ClayDot has just not been available? I used 2 lbs I bought from a local gun show. I found nothing wrong with it.

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Clay-Dot is a great powder but turns the 9000G and bench into a dust pile. It is mixed with a fine dusty silicate or something. I have 3 pounds left and 7 pounds of Red-Dot left. After that is gone it is back to Clays.

FRedmon

4. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Clay Dot is a good powder. It is "close" to Clays. Alliant has posted some data for it on their site. www.alliantpowder.com Their online data center is back online with a lot of revised and new loads. They have included some of the newer powders and newer wads with a wider range of primers, including a few loads with the RIO primer. It's worth a look.

It meters well and burns clean enough. It works alright in colder weather with the right primers. It is about the same density as Clays, so the same bushings should be close. Many people are saying to use Clays data for it, but I have seen some discrepancies in the posted data for both powders. It is NOT the exact same powder as Clays. I'd stay with what Alliant has posted, unless you use Clays data for some very low pressure loads and don't swap components around, especially primers.

The best part is it costs considerably less than Clays at my local sources and it's made in the good old USA. Clays is made in Australia, but it's distributed by Hodgdon, also a US company. ClayDot is only available in 8 pound jusg, just like Promo. I have used about 4 jugs of ClayDot and really see little difference in performance when compared to Clays. There is a little "dust" out of my Mec, but not any more than many other powders. If that really bothers you, try one of those red plastic powder baffles. They seem to seal better on the charge bars than the brass washers with some powders.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have used at least 6 8lb kegs of ClayDot and can tell no difference from Clay's powder at all.

In fact, I don't even have to change my adjustable charge bar when going from one powder to the other. They drop exactly the same on my 9000 Mec.

As for FRedmon's comment about leaving a dusty bench, I have not found that to be true in my case. I do use the red powder baffle and I have no dust.

And it is usually $15.00-20.00 cheaper per 8 lb keg.

I can't say it is for everyone, but it is for me......

Hauxfan!

7. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I went to Clay-Dot exclusively using my PW 800+ reloader. I have no dust on the machine or work bench. I like it better than any other powder after switching from PB.

My load is Remington or Gun Club hull, WW-209, 16.7 grains of Clay-Dot, blue duster wad, and 1 1/8 oz of shot. That's 1180 f.p.s. over my Pro-Chrono cronograph. I shoot this load on everything including handicap. On the first shot of doubles I load the same load of powder but substitue a green duster wad and 1 oz of shot. I've had scores in handicap of 96 at the Indiana State shoot with shoot off and the Grand. I've had scores of 97 and 96 in doubles at the Grand. All this after switching to Clay-Dot exclusively. There is little recoil and no 'kick' from my Caesar Gurini Magnus using these loads.

I am a AA sgls, 26.5 yd handicap shooter, and A doubles shooter.

My two cents.

Michael Stephenson

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If I couldn't get my favored e3 I'd be using Clay Dot. So similar to Clays that you will see no performance difference.

9. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

Thanks for all the feed back, makes me feel better before I try it

Good shooting to all
    Steve

10. shootsome

shootsome Member

I have used many pounds of Clay Dot and love it. No dust problem. It is $15-$20 cheaper per keg where I live. I like Alliant's customer service. Very helpful, responsive, and nice. I have found Hodgdon to be a bit arrogant in the past. But I think they are coming back to earth due to the market share Alliant is taking from them.

11. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

12. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

On my 1st keg, seems like good powder. Can't tell the difference from clays. Reloads and shoots the same. Glenn

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

The problem with the dust depends on the type of reloading press! I have no problem with it in my PW but my friend's spolar leaks some dust but a little compressed air cleans it up nicely.PJ

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Of course Claydot is a great powder. It is a virtual exact copy of Hodgdon CLAYS, one of the best powder's available to shotshell reloaders.

Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

To those who tout the "Made in the USA" label, consider this:

Hodgdon Powder is a 3rd generation 60 year old family-owned business with 60+ employees here in Kansas. They give thousands and thousands of dollars and merchandise every year to the NRA, National Shooting Sports Foundation, SCI, 4-H, Boy Scouts of America, and many more organizations to help preserve our right to own a firearm.

Alliant Tech is a good company, but keep in mind that they are a multi-billion dollar military contractor that employs thousands of people around the world. Their canister reloading powder business is a VERY small portion of what they do. Gun powder is ALL that Hodgdon Powder does. I don't know if ATK gives as much as Hodgdon does to support our shooting and hunting heritage, but my guess is that they do not.

It's true that Hodgdon extruded powders like CLAYS are made in Australia, but somebody has to package it, and Hodgdon employees do that in Herington, Kansas.

(By the way, ATK's Reloader series rifle powders are imported from Sweden.)

It's also true that IMR powders like IMR4350 are manufactured in Canada.

Australia? Canada? Two of this country's best allies.

On the other hand, Hodgdon's Spherical powders like TITEWAD are made in Florida.

Hodgdon makes black powder substitutes in the USA, right here in Kansas.

Bottom line, use what you want, for whatever reason you want. But I don't think the "because its made in the USA" argument is very valid.

15. oletymer

oletymer Member

But I don't think the "because its made in the USA" argument is very valid.

That type of thinking is why good paying jobs are disappearing and the trade deficit is draining this country.

16. shootsome

shootsome Member

IMHO I see Alliant as a manufacturer of powders. With that comes knowledge of the process technology that results in a keen understanding of what their products can do. Hodgdon has been over the years a re-packager of other people's powders. They've been at the low end of the supply chain and technology.

17. trrapshooter

trrapshooter Member

Thanks again for all the great feedback

Semper Fi
    Steve G

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

timb99- If you do not believe that "Made in the USA" is of no importance, then how about this: Made in Virginia, on Peppers Ferry Road seven miles E of Radford and six miles W from Christiansburg.

I am sure that many imported products are packaged in the USA. Right now, the only example I can come up with is cocaine, but I know there are others.

Pat Ireland
    885 Mountain View Drive
    Christiansburg, VA 24073

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I use nothing but Clay Dot, since it came out--after looking at this post I looked up Clay Dot on the Alliant site---they said it meters the same as ( implied Clays) no need to change bushing sizes. They intend for it to be a direct replacement for Clays, but won't say it directly--- Read Alliant's description of Clay Dot. This is what I felt they meant.

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.