1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot/Winter shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I've been using Alliant Clay Dot for the last 4 years. I don't usually shoot a lot during the winter but shot some during this past Jan - March. I noticed a decrease of velocity in my Clay Dot loaded shells.

Someone told me yesterday that I should not use Clay Dot during the winter becasue it loses velocity. Is this true? If so are there other powders that should not be used during very cold conditions (less than 30 degrees)?

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

It might just be true. I have never noticed it. I shoot a winter league in Eastern Washington. It gets bitter cold during this league, never had an issue breaking targets because of my Clay Dot loaded ammo. Clay Dot works great for me year round.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

It's not the powder... it's the increase in air density that's slowing the pellets down!

Keller

4. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

First, check your powder drop. So many loaders try to save a bit by loading light, but believe me, it will cost you in the long run. I stay in the middle of the recommended FPS range from the Alliant manual and I have no issues whatsoever. Second, don't leave your shells in the garage or your trunk overnight before you shoot. In winter, I keep my shells inside until I take them to my vehicle the day of the shoot, on the floor of my vehicle under the warm heat on the way to the shoot, and indoors until it's time to shoot. If shells shoot well in the warm months but not so well in the cold months, do whatever you have to do to keep the shells warm. The shells certainly can't tell the difference between January and July, so it must be the shooter who's not paying attention.

5. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

What are you loading? Powder drop/wad/primer/hull? Did you get this from the manufactor of the power?

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Actually the earth tilts on its axis during the winter and you are really shooting up hill!
    All of the powders loose velocity. Add heat to a reaction and it speeds up and visa versa. Leave your shells in the sun for a couple of hours in the summer and see if you notice any difference.
    I had a ton of bloopers this winter with cheddite primers and promo and redot.
    Switched to federal primers and all was well. fininshid up with claydot and sticking with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.