1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot vs Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen-MX8, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

In looking at Alliant's web site I noticed they have a powder they call Clay Dot.

Has anyone used Clay Dot and how does it compare to Red Dot?

Thanks for your help and "break 'em all".

Allen

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Allen, Though I have not used Clay Dot, I use Hodgdon's Clay's for reloading the 12 ga. with. Alliant came out with Clay Dot to go head to head with there rival Hodgdon and there Hodgdon's Clays powder line. All three are good powders for ll50 fps loads with l l/8 oz. lead. All three are at the top of their pressures with a l200 fps load with l l/8 oz. lead load. Some people don't like the fact that Clay Dot is only sold in 8 pound kegs. Some people like American made powder (Alliant). Personnally I would use Alliant over Hodgdon if they had the data for reloading the Hodgdon does. I only use published data from a website for reloading and their is to much missing on Alliants site to suit me. You will get more advice from some others. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use a LOT of Promo, which is a budget form of Red Dot. Clay Dot is a powder that is "similar" to Hodgdon Clays. Not the same, but similar. It is great for 7/8 and 1 oz loads in 12 ga. Also can be used for some light 1 1/8 oz, but it seems to run up pressures in tapered hulls rather abruptly. Clay Dot is offered in 8lb jugs ONLY and is priced a little lower than other similar powders. I have used almost four jugs of it since it came out. It works well for the types of loads I mentioned. Stay away from higher pressure loads, since if it is like Clays, it would tend to hit the wall on pressures abruptly. Compared to Red Dot, it is a bit faster under most conditions. It meters well and is pretty consistent. I have used an enormous amount of Red Dot in over 40 years of reloading shotshells. If Promo were not available, I'd likely still be using Red Dot the most. Clays and Clay Dot have not convinced me that they are any better or worse. I'm more comfortable with the pressure developed by Red Dot and Promo in the loads I use. If you try Clay Dot, be sure to use the data as written. Don't substitute Clays data for it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

If one were to load equivalent loads using Clays, Clay Dot and Red Dot, it would be difficult to detect any difference in the way the shells preform.

If you were to try and determine how clean the powders burn by looking down the barrel after firing your last shot, you might conclude that Clay Dot and Clays burn a little cleaner. But, this is a very poor, yet very common, test of how powders burn.

Pat Ireland

5. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks to all for the information. I appreciate it very much.

I will probably stick to using Red Dot, at least for the time being as I have quite a bit of it on hand.

Thanks again.

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clay dot
clay dot powder vs red dot

clay dot vs red dot

difference clay dot and red dot
powders that compare with red dot
red dot powder equivalent

red dot vs clay dot