1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot vs e3

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosecall, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I am in the process of ordering some powder and I will be shooting more 7/8 oz loads. I am debating between Claydot and e3 powder for 7/8 oz loads. I will be shooting in subfreezing weather. I am currently using STS hulls or Gun club hulls Fiocchi 209 primers, Fed12So wads and DWR XXL pink wads. My concern is that Clay Dot will not be as good as e3 in cold weather. I had been using 700x and the price has gone up, and I can get e3 at the same price, but clay Dot I can save $ 15.50 per 8 pounds. I need some help with the decision, as I will be buying in bulk and want to make the right choice. 10tenner

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Why not buy a pound of each and try them both out. Put a box of each type in the freezer and run them over a chronograph. You'll find out what doewsn't work in a hurry!

Clay Dot has worked well for me in cold weather, but I can only speak for my own loads. I have had trouble with the Fiocchi 616 primers with some powders when the temps get low. I do not use the Fiocchi primers with the Clay Dot powder, since the data does not appear totally reliable.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Keeping the pressure over 9000 PSI at room temps will assure you of proper cold weather performance.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

For 7/8 oz loads, I would suggest Clay Dot. E3 is a denser powder and may not fill up the hull with lighter loads. E3 powder is designed for loads where the wad and shot occupy too much volume for the use of other powders. E3 is typically a little more expensive per pound, but a pound of e3 will load more shells than most other powders.

Pat Ireland

5. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Quack Shot, Clay Dot is only sold in 8 pound containers, I have used a pound of e3, but in 1 oz loads, and have read were it excelled is in cold weather. Fiocchi 209 primers and Clay Dot in cold weather, I do not know about, but have read were there can be problems with them and Alliant powders. Volume of e3 will not be a problem I am using 700x and it is slightly more dense than e3. 10tenner

6. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I downloaded the new Alliant data and it looks like e3 for me, the PSI are very low for Clay Dot and 7/8 oz shot. Lots of new data, and for the DownRange wads. 10Tenner

7. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I think you will like E3. I shot some in cold weather and found it to be very consistant. As was stated above you use around 15% less grains than some powders so the price is better than it looks.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

You will have zero problems using e3 with the loads you propose. In an STS or Gun Club hull, the 12S0 wad seats at the correct depth for a perfect crimp no matter how small the powder charge.

I've never used Clay Dot in freezing temps. This summer I used up my Red Dot, Clay Dot and e3 and decided I was only going to use one fast powder from now on. That powder is e3. I use it for 7/8oz and 1oz loads. It is consistent over the chrono, and on targets. I used it last winter with STS209 primers and had no problems. This winter is the same. I just love the stuff.

In an STS hull, with an STS209 primer and a 12S0 wad, I use between 15gr and 16gr (depending on the speed I want) of e3 and 7/8oz hard shot. 15gr gives you right around 1180fps. The 16gr load is the sweetest 1220fps load ever. Sounds good, smells good and vaporizes targets.

For 1oz I use an STS hull, STS209 primer, 16gr e3, TGT-12 wad and 1oz hard shot for 1150fps. A truly outstanding load.

I have zero complaints with Clay Dot, and certainly nothing bad to say about it. I narrowed it down to the same two you picked and chose e3. Either way you go it will be win-win. They are both great powders. I decided to go with e3 because it performs the same all year round, is extremely consistent, and costs the same to load with. Clay Dot is $82/8 lb and e3 is $93/8 lb. The e3 works out to be just a tad cheaper because you use less of it.

BTW, if you use the DRM pink XXL wads for 7/8oz, you'll need more speed for consistent results.

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Thanks for information, and again if you have not looked at the new Allaint data, you need to if using the DownRange wads! 10Tenner

10. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

10tenner,

I have used e3, claydot, and clays for 7/8 oz loads in sts and gunclub hulls. I use the claybuster 4100 wad, and have used fiochi, cheddite, and winchester primers. When the temperature dropped below 35 degrees, either claydot or clays was more consistent for me. Although none of the powders gave me bloopers, e3 had more "off" sounding loads, and became very dirty. That indicated to me that the e3 was not burning properly because in warmer temperatures, it was quite clean burning. I was suprised that e3 didn't perform better than the other two powders, because it was formul;ated to be less temperature sensitive (in terms of burn rate).

Good Luck, Bob k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant clay dot vs e3