1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot / Top Guns Dirty Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not a good powder for your application. Pressures are way to low in that cavernous case.

Like Alliant, I'd suggest extra lite instead..

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

There are several factors that affect dirty(ier) or clean(er), none of which are the hull nor wad.

FGM hulls and 12S0 wads ... you cannot find a better match for a 1oz load.

None of the Dots are especially 'clean' powders, but 17.6 seems pretty slow and low pressure - and low pressure DOES contribute to an incomplete burn.

The primer matters also. F209A is the default for straight-wall hulls, and there is a reason for that.

Go to your #35 bushing, it should make a better burn, but the best possible burn you will have is finding +9000psi and using an F209A primer.

That said: there is only so clean that any of the Dots will be. There are cleanER powders if a dirty barrel is an issue.

Bob

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I use federal 209 primers, 12SO wad, clay dot, in a federal gold medal case. 18 grains of Clay Dot. I also like 16 grains of extra-lite, which is a clean powder.

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The regular CCI primer is about the coolest (along with the Remington P). If you are going to load Misc Eurotrash hulls (use FGM data, always) the only two primers you ought to keep around are the 209A and the CCI-Manglum.

If you are going to use up your CCI, add a ½gn to keep pressure up.

Like Jim said above: Alliant Extra-Light, Hodgdon TiteWad, Hodgdon WinLite, Nitro 100.

Bullseye is my very, very all-time fave 1oz powder, but Bullseye makes any of the Dots look like Mr Clean has just been there. Yes, every few rounds, I lower my muzzle and let the clinkers fall out, why do you ask?

Bob

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Most all "flake" powders leave some ash, you might try a ball type to see if they help. As per goatskin "hot" primer in Fed. hulls to get the chamber pressure up close to 9000psi. Otherwise (grin) do like me----just don't look at it till after you've run a patch through it. Ross Puls

6. schneep

schneep Member

Use Alliant e3 powder, cleanest out there as far as I'm concerned.

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Yup - recommend you use the Fed 209A primer only (as suggested) .... and the Claybuster 12S0 clone wad is a better choice over the Downrange clone. Make sure you get good deep crimps on those hulls also ... and you shouldnt have a problem.
    Using Claydot, F209A primer, CB12SO wad I get: 1185 FPS with 18.0 gr and 1160 FPS with 17.5 gr. Burns pretty clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.