1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CLAY DOT-REMINGTON PRIMERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by A CHANCE, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A CHANCE

A CHANCE TS Member

Any data for Clay Dot Remington priners and figure 8 wads?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Claydot data is on Alliant's web site.

Clays data (used with Claydot) is on Hodgdon's web site.

MK

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There is at least one load using the components mentioned, for the Win AA hull and the Remington STS. The load in the Remington is over 10,000 PSI, which puts it above target loads that I would consider loading on a regular basis. Clay Dot is generally not the best powder for 1 1/8 oz loads in "Tapered" hulls, especially if you wish to go at 1200 fps. You would be better served using a more appropriate powder, or limiting the loads you use to the lower ranges of the 1 1/8 oz spectrum. I use Clays and Clay Dot for 7/8 and 1 oz loads more frequently. In the Federal hulls, Clays and Clay Dot seem to produce a more moderate pressure with some 1200 fps loads, so I would not hesitate using it for those hulls.

I would strongly caution against using data intended for other powders. Which means I will not use Clays data for Clay Dot and Vice Versa. The two powders are similar in their applications, but are different enough that the data would not directly interchange. There may not be a big difference with low pressure loads, but I would hesitate to take that chance at higher pressures.

You did not specify what hulls you intended to use, so I can't really give you much more than that.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm with quack on that one. I emailed Alliant about using clay dot. They would not give me a straight answer. I ended up just switching to a AA wad to be able to use the provided data. I think they would be doing themselves a HUGE service by publishing some loads.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Clay Dot loads are listed in Alliant's Reloader Guide.

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I agree with Bob K, as I have followed Alliant's published data, for over 5000 loads, and have been very happy with Clay DOT. Go to their Web Site, and numerous loading data is published for the reader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.