1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jack1122, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

I just purchased a can of Alliant Clay Dot at my local club. The thing is I can't find any information on what Mec bushing to use to get my desired weight. Can someone give me some information on what bushing your using to get around 17 grains in a mec 9000?

BEFORE ALL OF YOU GET ON ME ABOUT WEIGHING MY CHARGES, I'M GOING TO I PROMISE. I'M ONLY LOOKING FOR A STARTING POINT.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

2. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

start by using it as you would clays, then adjust accordingly.

3. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Thanks guys,

That's what I heard but, I wanted to check with some other experts on this matter.

Jack

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jack, I'm no expert; but found that my PW bushing throwing 16gr of Hodgen Clays, the result was ~ 16.2gr of Clay Dot. Also, it's the first time I've heard the claim that one set of reloading data is interchangeable with another, regarding powder(s) from different manufacturers. One thing I especially like about Clay Dot is the price a major dealer was selling at Elysburg>>> $80 a jug. I've shot it in Remington hulls/Remington primers, 7/8 to 1 1/8th loads, in cold and hot weather, without any observed change in performance. In short, I recommend the powder.

bust 'em all. .....mike

5. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

From my experience you could start with a #30 bushing to get about 17g. I load a #29 bushing at 16.3g.

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

From Mike Poore...

<blockquote>"Also, it's the first time I've heard the claim that one set of reloading data is interchangeable with another, regarding powder(s) from different manufacturers."</blockquote>

Not a claim but a fact. The interchangeability of data between Clays and Clay Dot was the goal behind the development of Clay Dot from the beginning. Alliant developed a less expensive, American-made powder that used the same data and produced the same pressures and velocities as its more-costly foreign-made competitor. Alliant did it by duplicating the performance but not the formulation. The two are different. Any difference in bushing size or drop weight can usually be traced to the inherent differences in the weights of the components and not to difference is the potential of the powders.

Carol Lister

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mike Poore

"Just to reinforce what Carol said I copied this from the Alliant Website

Bob Lawless

Clay Dot®

Smokeless shotshell powder

Designed for competition shooters, Clay Dot™ is functionally and technically identical to competitive shotshell powders but at a reduced price. This American-made powder meters the same through reloading press powder bushings and functions with the exact same powder charge weights to achieve equal velocities and pressures. No need to change bushings or load data.

•Optimum load for light and standard 12 gauge target loads

•Available in 8-pound canisters only (2 per case)

•Proudly made in America

Principal Purpose: Light and standard 12 ga. target

Remarks:

Designed to duplicates the performance of Hodgdon® Clays™ at an economical price

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The bushing in my MEC 9000 throws Claydot as follows: 30=17gr's 31= 17.5gr's.
    These were the averages of 10 drops each weighed on my powder scale.
    Yours could be a little different but I doubt it would be that much to worry about with that load.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My 31 throws 17gr. averages with my digital scale.

10. zinger

zinger Member

I use a Mec 32 bushing and turn the nut up so the charge bar doesn't go completely across to get an average of 17.5-17.8 in Rem hull/wad/primers.

11. erm

erm Member

I just got a new load data guide from them. Sitll no bushing data on clay dot. They say to use clays data.....erm

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have found that the bushings for Clays will throw Clay Dot within a few tenths of a grain of the Clays weight. I use a 32 bushing and get about 17.4 to 17.5 of either in a Mec progressive. A 33 Bushing throws about 18.1 to 18.2 of either. Essentially no real difference. A 31 Bushing drops around 16.9 - 17.1 on my machine with either powder. As a result of my experience, I would say you could use the Clays bushing chart as a rough guide for Clay Dot. The drops listed in the Mec guide are usually a bit heavier, since they are about dead on for Clays using a non-progressive loader. With a progressive they seem to be about 1/3 grain or so lighter. I have had very little variation with either powder, from lot to lot. There is a lot of data on the Alliant site, so I'm sure you could find something suitable. Just be sure to USE a SCALE! No bushing guide is a replacement for a good scale.

13. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Again,

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot

claydot reviews
how much clay dot wil a mec 23 bushing throw
is universal clays and clay dot interchangable
lee load all powder bushing for 17gr of claydot
lee load all using clay dot powder
load data clay dot 12 gauge
mec 33 bushing clays