1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SMSGT, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

Has anyone used Alliant's Clay Dot powder? I was thinking about trying some but since it only comes in 8# kegs I would like to see if anyone has had any experience with it. I currently use Red Dot for most of my loads. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks - Leroy.

2. freeride

freeride TS Member

I have used clay dot for about 1000 rounds ,for 1 oz loads. I find that its as clean as clays . I use about the same amount per load as clays. Its a soft shooting power. My trap gun is Caesar Guerini Magnus. Its also a little cheaper. I hope this helps!

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

On my 4th jug. Makes a great bunker load. Inexpensive (compared to clays), burns clean and not too bad on recoil.

4. shootsome

shootsome Member

I'm on my 4th 8 lb keg of Clay Dot. It's great stuff. I switched from Hodgdon Clays and can't tell the difference. It's cheaper than Clays, too.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7th jug. 7/8 1oz and 1 1/8. just like Clays....

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Leroy- Clay Dot is an excellent powder, but you are now using another excellent powder, Red Dot. What are you trying to gain by changing?

Pat Ireland

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I bought a remaining lot from a shooter no longer loading. Not available locally and still non at clubs supplier? I liked it. I am at the mercy of what is stocked/available for powder. So Clays is it. Here almost all powder is around the 100/8lb area. Promo does is a mystery. No ne ever has it locally. Around here its red/green dot and clays.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Leroy, you will find that Clay Dot burns cleaner and costs less than Red Dot. I like it for 1 oz loads, but not as much as e3. It is a little faster burning than Red Dot.

9. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

I am glad to see that there are some people who have used Clay Dot. I had not talked to anyone who had tried it. Thanks for all of the input. Leroy

10. Mojo

Mojo Member

Only negative I find with Clay Dot is Alliant does not recommend it for 1200 fps - 1 1/8 oz. loads in STS hulls. Using 17.5 gr's for 1 oz. with new Neon Green DR XL-1 wad and it grinds 'em.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Mojo, that is not true what you posted about the STS shells. I tried to put a link in but it doesn't want to work. Go to the Alliant reloading data page and you can find them.

I just checked the Alliant web page and they have at least 2 1200fps loads using STS hulls.

I've been reloading one of those loads for over 2 years now and it is a great load.

Hauxfan!

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

this?

1 1/8 1,200 Rem 209P Clay Dot WAA12 & DRA12 & DRXL 1 1/8 18.8 10,870

13. Mojo

Mojo Member

Hauxfan - looks like your are right. Did not think of a Win wad in a STS hull,
    not that I would load it at 10,870 anyway. Using all Rem components they show
    a load on the main website of 19.2 gr's of Clay Dot but no psi, but they dropped it off the interactive site:

www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index/aspx.

which is where I get my info.

Smoke 'em..!

M.

14. Mojo

Mojo Member

that should be www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx. If you are not using
    it check it out.

M.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Mojo, I use Claydot and a figure 8 Remington wad. They used to put the formula on there bottles. I drop around 18.5 using Claydot and Remington wads and primers and 1 1/8 ounce of shot.

It's been a really good load for me.

Been using it now for a couple of years at least.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant clay dot powder

alliant clay dot reviews
alliant reloading formula for clay dot using wad 12aa

clay dot powder review

claydot reviews
is alliant clay dot powder any good
is alliant clay dot powder the same as red dot

trap loads red dot powder per load