1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Randy P, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy P

Randy P Member

Thinking about trying Clay Dot powder. Anyone using Clay Dot and how do you like it? What type of velocities and how many grains?

Randy P

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'm on my 24th 8# jug and now buy it by the case. Alliant suggests that be dropped same as Clays.

Use only published data. I use some of the Rio data (there isn't much) for my 16 yard loads (STS hulls, Rio primers, 17.5 grns Clay Dot, Fig. 8 wad, 1 1/8oz. shot) averages 1180 FPS. I also use the 1 oz. formula published by Rio. My 22 yard handicap load (STS hulls, Winchester primers, 18.1 grns. Clay Dot, Fig 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz shot right from the Hodgdon data) averages right around 1225 FPS. The chronograph I use reads about 25-30 FPS higher on factory loads than the factory data.

3. Randy P

Randy P Member

Capt. Morgan, thanks for the info. I talked to Alliant today and gave them my recipe ( STS huls, Fed 209A primer, win. AA wad, 1 1/8 oz ). Told them I was looking for a load around 1200 FPS, They suggested 18 grains with the Fed primer as it is suppose to be a hotter primer than others. I forgot to ask about a load around 1235FPS.

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Randy P .... Published Clay Dot info is available on the Alliant web page at the URL above, this should answer all your questions on loads.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm on my 3rd keg and I like it. Go for it!

Hauxfan!

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Started out using Clays, then switched to Claydot to save a few $$$, never even had to change the recipe. My load is 17.5 gr. Claydot, 1oz. of #8 or 8.5, Fiocchi primers, Downrange Jammer XL wads and Rem. hulls.
    Very clean burning and I shoot these reloads in 100 degrees at Sparta and 0 degrees in our winter league. Reloaded over 25,000 with Clays/Claydot so far.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Published Clay Dot info is available on the Alliant web page at the URL above, this should answer all your questions on loads."

That is the only published data I've ever seen for Clay Dot and it still leaves one question unanswered: Why does Alliant insist on publishing data using only matching OEM primers and hulls?

I switched to Clay Dot to save money over Clays, too. So it makes no sense to blow it by buying STS primers for $150/5000 when I can buy 5000 Rios for $90. Hodgdon data for Clays works just as well.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm with you, Capt., I've had great success using after market components like CB, DownRange,Duster wads and Cheddite primers. Every time I consider using one of the Alliant powders, it's the lack of mix and match data that turns me away. I may interpolate published data often but I'm not comfortable just inventing a load with no starting point to work with....Bob Dodd

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

jbmi, where are you buying Claydot that its cheaper than Clays? So far every place Ive been and looked at online Alliant runs about 10 to 12 more per 8lbs than hodgdon?

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mac, where I live Clay Dot is $82/8lb, the other Dots and American Select are $85/8lb, and Clays and Int Clays are $98/8lb. It's almost always cheaper to buy locally than online, unless you live in the boonies.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thanks guys.

13. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Switching back to Clays, after six jugs of dot I still like the Clays better.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Can you tells us why tgun90?....Bob Dodd

15. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Bdodd I can tell you why I switched. Red dot left to much un burnt powder/soot for me smoked more. Clays less. Clays is also easier to get at the few local places. I was loading STS,cci,fig8,19.5g,1 1/8.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, but I want to know why tgun90 left Clay Dot to return to Clays as his post seems to suggest....Bob Dodd

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'm also curious to know the reasons behind that switch.

Bob Morgan

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used Clay Dot and don't see much difference between Clay Dot and Clays except for the price. It's $15 - $20 a jug less, depending on where I buy it. I do NOT like the lack of data and I have little confidence that it will give the "exact" same results as Clays in all loadings when substituting Clays data. I stay pretty close to what has been provided on the jug and Alliant's site. I don't think experimenting with things that go bang within a close proximity to a person is a great idea.

I think Clays is a bit more consistent in metering and time will tell if Clay Dot's variation from lot to lot will be an issue. I've had some VERY wide variations in other Alliant powders over the last few years, especially Red and Green Dot. The difference was more than one Mec bushing size between lots. Such a wide variation is unacceptable for a "premium" powder. Clays has been within a tenth of a grain since I started using it years ago.

Some pressure data for more popular hull/wad/primer combinations would be a good thing. Alliant seems to have a serious defecit when it comes to data. Lyman even does a better job when it comes to variations with the more popular powders. Another word of caution about primers. The Rio G-600 primers appear to be pretty hot and are in line with the Federal 209A and the CCI 209M. Given the lack of pressure data for some Alliant powders, it would be prudent to double check any available data before using them. Not saying they aren't a good primer, I'm just saying that they appear to be on the hot side. I've used many thousands of them without a hitch, but have compensated my loads for the extra pressures they would develop. There is some very limited data for these primers and a careful comparison to data for other primers tells the story.

19. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"The Rio G-600 primers appear to be pretty hot and are in line with the Federal 209A and the CCI 209M. Given the lack of pressure data for some Alliant powders, it would be prudent to double check any available data before using them. Not saying they aren't a good primer, I'm just saying that they appear to be on the hot side. I've used many thousands of them without a hitch, but have compensated my loads for the extra pressures they would develop. There is some very limited data for these primers and a careful comparison to data for other primers tells the story."</I>

They are a hot primer according to Dick Quesenberry of Alliant. One of the things that concerns me a bit about using them appears on the data Rio publishes. They list a 1185 fps 1 1/8 oz. load using STS hulls, 17.5 grains of Clays powder and Fig 8 wads. Why 1185 fps. instead of the standard 1145? I also noted that the published pressure for that load is 11580 psi. Unless I remember incorrectly, that's 80 psi over the recommended max operating pressure for a 12 gauge chamber. I have chosen to use that data but I use a bushng that happens to drop 17.1 grains instead of 17.5. It makes a very nice load.

Morgan

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

"Switching back to Clays, after six jugs of dot I still like the Clays better." tgun90

Can you tell us why tgun90?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot powder and fed 209a primers

how many grains of rio powder