1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sprinklerman, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Is it safe to substitute Clay Dot for Clays powder?

2. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

I've been using clay dot and clay interchangably.You do need to weigh the respective lots, as I've found Clay Dot a little more dense than Clays. On my MEC that means one busshing smaller with Clay Dot.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, all I can tell you is Alliant has repeatedly stated you may use the Clays recipes verbatim for Clay dot...

4. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Gentlemen, compare Clay Dot (Alliant) and Clays (Hodgens) online recipes. They do not agree. Nor does Clay Dot show a light load (1090 fps). HarryC

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

With all of the data that Alliant has posted online, it's best to use data for the exact powder and components you are using. The powders are similar, but not identical. When Clay Dot was first introduced, there was very little data available for it. Now that they have a good amount, it does not pay to take a chance using data intended for a different powder.

6. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Unknown, yep you're right. I was only comparing with what I loaded (Rem hulls). Sorry for the wrong info. I purchased 8 lbs of Clay Dot on word of mouth and didn't look at the online recipes. I guess it's for handicrap loads.

I load either 1 or 1 11/8 at 1090 fps for singles. HarryC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.