1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot powder and Clays data

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Capt. Morgan, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you use Alliant's Clay Dot powder, call Alliant at 1-800-276-9337 Ext. 2 and ask about their revised position regarding the use of Hodgdon's Clays reloading data to reload using Clay Dot powder. You want to talk to Paul.

Morgan

2. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

Why capt. whatever do you mean ? thanx phil burton 9502565

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Capt,

Would you be making the implication that the two powders are NOT identical?

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Capt. Morgan, why couldn't you just tell us what they are saying?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I probably could but then that would make even what I was told nothing but hearsay to everybody else; it would just be "what some guy wrote on TS.com".

I'm not Alliant's messenger and I know others will have questions I can't answer.

Rather than risk spreading incomplete information I suggest you call them directly if you're interested.

Morgan

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Well, I just did as you recommended Capt.

I called Alliant.

And according to them they have NOT revised their position regarding the use of Clays reloading data when using Alliant Clay Dot.

According to the gentleman I spoke to (who works in the same area as Paul) the data is very close - not exact but very close and they were comfortable using a Clay Dot recipe using Clay Dot powder and achieving very similar results (including pressures).

If you have something to add then now would be the time.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

I doubt that one lot of Clays in "identical" to another lot of Clays. It is not possible to have every lot the same. Ever heard of SPC?

The real question becomes "Is it safe to use Clays recipes for Clay Dot?". I do not care if the recipe is "off" a few FPS or PSI.

Unless someone is willing to spend a lot of time and money to prove otherwise, I will depend on the manufacturer's recommendations - who, by the way, faces a huge liability for begin wrong. If you use published data and do not load at the extreme end, your underwear should remain unsoiled.

I have two jugs I will use for light trap loads; but I did get a second gun in case one blows up.

Don

8. Alliant Reloading

Alliant Reloading TS Member

Capt. Morgan,

I don't understand the point of this thread. I don't believe we have changed our position on Clay Dot(R).

Thanks to all of you who purchase our American made shotshell powders.

Shoot well,

Paul

9. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Paul - Come on out to Christiansburg this weekend. We're having a Doubles shoot Saturday and a normal 300 bird shoot Sunday. - Jon Sharp

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm already on my 5th or 6th 8 lb canister of Claydot and I really like it.

Plus I get it cheaper than Clays.

Hauxfan!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Has anyone actually bothered to compare the data published by Alliant with that published by Hodgdon? There is some new data in the Alliant 2008 loading guide. Some loads are almost dead on and others show a wide variance. I'd rather use data for the EXACT components I'm loading and would prefer not to substitute. Given that, we don't live in a perfect world either, so using a little caution is a great idea if the exact data isn't available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant clay dot reloading data
allient clay dot 9mm new data safe loads
clay dot load data
clay dot loading data
clay dot powder reloading data

clay dot reloading data

claydot load data
load data for clay dot powder