1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot or American Select powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SKB65, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKB65

SKB65 TS Member

All right so i have a question for u and i just want ur guys opinion on this. so right now i am shooting Clay Dot powder and i'm looking for something with a little less recoil. I do like the overal performance of clay dot it patterns well and i do shoot well with it but ive been looking at american select and it is pretty similar but it does have a little less recoil and it supposevly patterns well. I have also looked at green dot but it is really dirty and i have to use more grains to get the same velocity that i would get with American Select. I just want someones opinion who has had experience with American Select

Ben

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I like american select a lot for 1 oz loads. Almost no recoil and they are running about 1180. I like green dot for ANY 1 1/8th load.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I prefer Am Sel for super clean, super performing 1 1/8oz loads, and my fast 24g bunker loads. While Am Sel does indeed work for 1oz loads, I much prefer e3, or Clay Dot for that weight in the 1180fps range. However, if you can keep the pressure up, it really does superbly well with 1oz loads.

Ben, you owe it to yourself to at least try Am Sel. It is one of the world's best powders.

4. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

I have been reloading for a long time - back to 452AA - I love AS in Fed Papers as well as Remmies and never change my powder bushing - 19.5 gr in 1 oz and 7/8 oz, but it shines in the 1 oz - very clean burn, low pressure, comfortable recoil. Hope this helps......... Milt

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

zzt, could you tell me the specifics about your 24 gram bunker loads?

What hull, wad, grains, and speed? I am satisfied with the 1 ounce sporting clay loads I have been using, but I am looking for more speed.

Very clean powder, and probably meters/drops the most consistent charges closest to bushing charts, that I have used yet.

John E.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Luvs, the bunker load my O/U favors (not to say there may not be others) is the following:

GM hull, F209A primer, 19.0 ~ 21 gr Am Sel, 12S0 wad, 24g #8 West Coast magnum shot. I can't explain it, but 19.6gr Am Sel for 1286fps w/SDs of under 12.0 seems to be the sweet spot. It works for everything.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

How does Am Sel compare in price to clay dot? Also, where is it available? No one in my area seems to carry it...

Kiv

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Around my neck of the woods, Am Sel, Red and Green Dot, etc are $88/8lb. Clay Dot is $3 cheaper, and is only available in 8lb containers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
american select powder
american select powder reviews
american select vs cladot

american select vs clays

clay dot powder review
clay dot powder reviews
clays vs american select powder
green dot vs american select powder