1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay-Dot Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshooter5, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

After reading about ClayDot,I tried loading with it tonight..The ads say it is directly interchangable with Clays-same bushing and powder drops. I found I had to use one size smaller bushing in my Mec9000 for it to match the chart. That is,I had to use a #31 instead of the usual #32 for 17.3g....What have you folks found that have tried it?? Paul in Virginia

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I had to swap bushing too. My 31 dropped 18.3. I did this today as well. I'm using a mec jr which explains why yours drops lighter than mine.

3. shrek

shrek Active Member

**Clay-Dot Info**

I have observed the need to change a bushing size either way when switching from one lot of the same powder to another on occasion, so your need to switch bushings is not a surprise to me.

That is why a good scale is in my opinion a mandatory piece of reloading equipment

My current batch of Claydot in my MEC grabber drops 17.3 with a #31.

4. darr

darr Well-Known Member

You may have to change the bushing the next time you buy more powder.Different lots of the same powder can drop different charges.I am a scale nut.I weigh about every 25 drops.My 2 cents.Have fun.

Darr

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi Paul,

As you have found out, Clays and Clay Dot are not identical. They are close, but not the same. My press drops close to the same weights with the same bushings, but I have only been using one lot of Clay Dot so far, so I can't say much for consistency from lot to lot. I think Clay Dot drops a few tenths lighter if my memory serves me. I bought four jugs of the same lot as I do with many powders. Promo especially. I use data published by Alliant for Clay Dot and Hodgdon for Clays. There are some differences if you look carefully. If you are trying to duplicate a specific "Clays" load, just double check the data from Alliant and check your drops and go with the flow if the pressures are right. I like the powder and it performs well. I don't use Clays or Clay Dot for heavier loads and restrict my use of it to 7/8, 1 oz, and only the lightest 1 1/8 oz loads. Don't hesitate to call if you want my take on it.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The jug of Claydot I'm using now drops 17gr. with a #30 MEC and 17.5 with a 31. Each new jug could be different so I weight about the first 10 drops to get a good average.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I get 17.1 grns of Clay-Dot thru my MEC #31 quite consistently.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

#30=16.7gr; #31=17.4gr. with a Mec 650. Pretty good powder, BTW.

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot bushing chart

mec powder bushing size for clay dot