1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Dot cold temp performance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OGC Director, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

In the last few weeks with the cooler temps I have noticed my reloads don't seem to have the same pep they had during the summer. 2 or 3 loads in every box sound off and feel light. The last box I loaded I weighed every charge to make sure it wasn't a powder drop issue and they were right on the money. When I shot them Thur nite I still had a couple that felt funny. Reminds me of cold Rio's. I talked to some of the guys at Shyda's Gun shop where I purchased the Clay Dot and they said they are starting to hear some complaints about Clay Dot from their customers. Anyone else using clay dot having issues or may my problem be something else? I was using clays but was unable to get clays when I ran out and was told to try clay dot. I switched powders and left every thing else the same. During the summer I shot this clay dot load with good results. Seemed on par with my clays load. I load with a MEC Grabber. 1oz claybuster wad (been using this wad for 2 years no problems) Fiocchi primers and STS Hulls. I'm wondering if going from a 31bushing to a 32 will help. Any Ideas?

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Never used Clay Dot but used Clays for nearly 15 years now with no problems in cold temps. Is there any chance you are getting powder migration over the wad ??? Possibly not using a compatible wad??? Which CB wad?

3. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

CB1100-12

4. sub sr.

sub sr. TS Member

I had a fellow shooter tell me that my loads were sounding kinda light and this gentleman sugested--and he was a man of much more experience than I--his sugestion was to make sure that the powder container didn't get more than half empty--that seems to have solved my problem--I use red dot claybuster wads and i did check the charge weights and there was enough of a difference for me pay attention to the powder level in the tube--p.s. my reloader ios a 366..

5. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Yes, I learned that lesson early and I use a baffle. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to sell the 5lbs of clay dot I have left and go back to clays.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

OGC, You might want to buy some Clays now that you should be able to find it. Shoot that through the winter and use up the Clay Dot next summer. In my neck of the woods only way to sell used (open) powder is sell at about 1/2 price, or you will not get any takers. You might try a box with one bushing higher, as long as the data can be found and pressures still OK. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

How cold are you shooting in? Here in Alaska we are already in the 20's and I don't seem to have a problem with Clay Dot.Take that Powder Baffle and either throw if away or modifly it buy drilling down the middle and open the hole up. Buy keeping the powder in between the lines it will help with more consitent loads when it gets low in the bottle the loads become heavier.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Try a different primer than the Fiocchi. I use mostly Winchester W209 and Federal 209A primers for cold weather. Be sure to adjust the powder charges accordingly. I've had dismal results with the Fiocchi 616 in cold weather in a good number of loads. There are other primers that work well, but those are the two I would start with. Load some and put half a box in the freezer and keep the other half at room temp. Take them out and shoot the cold ones over a chronograph while still cold. Then shoot the room temp ones for a comparison. You'll find out which loads fall off in the cold that way.

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The problem is more than likely the primers. For the past two years there have been cold weather complaints here about F616 primers. It usually comes up in conjunction with Promo powder, but alos with several others. Try switching to an STS209 or W209 primer.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've shot Claydot year around here in Iowa for the last several years, and I have no problem with it.

I'd say your problem, or problems might result from something besides the powder.

Good luck and good shooting.

Hauxfan!

11. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

My bar scale reads 16.9 average when I weighed each drop for 1 box. Low of 16.8 and high of 17. I have used fiocchi primers for the last 2 winters with no problem but that was with clays powder.

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Thanks all for your ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.