1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

clay dot -CB100-12 12 Ga and Nobel Primers 1oz

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoot619, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Had been shooting this 1oz. lead shot 15.7 clay dot CB1100-12 wads Nobel

primers for the grandson Jon. He was in the 13,14, 15.s.

He tried a box of Rem game loads 1oz at 1290 # 8's He shot a 23. I would like

to increase powder charge with my clay dot but to match, it calls for 19.8

grains of clay dot. Want to be safe but want him having good shells.

Any suggestions or load advice. Thanks Ken U In the meantime I just increased

powder to 17.6 grains

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Stick with a published recipe. see Alliant link above. Your original recipe sounds kind of weak, probably getting a dirty incomplete powder burn. Something around 1150-1200 fps should break trap targets. Have fun with the grandkid. Mark

3. kene

kene TS Member

agree with Mark -- your original recipe sounded kind of lite and could have been inconsistent. going the whole way to 1290fps seems overkill to me espec for a youngster from the 16 - 20/21 yard lines -- something in the 1200fps range should work just fine and be easier on the recoil. looked at the alliant link and 17.6 grains looks like it should be a good one. assume that you are weighing the powder for both accuracy and consistency. if you read the fine print in the MEC data sheet [that assumes you are using a MEC...] it says that the bushings are calibrated for single stage presses and that progressives will drop powder lighter than the published data -- I did some testing with Clays and found that to be true -- ended up one or two bushing numbers larger than I would have been if had blindly believed the data sheet - so measure / weigh even if you aren't using a MEC

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Go with the mid 17.5 gr range with your components..

5. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks, It is a Mec and using a multi-scale charge bar . I just set it up now

for 17.6 grains . powder drop is checked pretty reg. I have been having trouble

with lt. drops especially at 15.6. Tomorrow will order powder baffle for it. I

had bought the charge bar used but baffle didn't come with it. At 17.6 even

lighter drops should take wads out of barrel. I had 3 wads last week that

didn't exit the barrel. Reason powder charge was at 15.7 I didn't want the

kid to get too much recoil. Thanks for all the advice and it will be used .

The smile on his face when he got the 23 was something else. I don't think it was

as big as mine. Love them grandkids, best thing ever for me. Ken U

6. kene

kene TS Member

good grief -- with that many duds I would be very concerned about how well the loader / charge bar is working. espec with a youngster doing the shooting - if he would shoot with a wad stuck in the barrel he could get hurt. if i were you i would really keep a close eye on the powder drops. i don't change loads much so have stayed with the std bar / bushing since have heard that the adjustable bars can be finicky. a powder baffle is a good idea.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Something is wrong with the powder drops, I have used that load as low as 15gr. & they ALL broke targets very well--no bloopers--double check the charge bar to be positive it's moving full travel, sounds like it may be not dropping the entire powder charge, or an obstruction in the drop tube also double check charge weight with a good scale. If you're getting that light drops maybe the drop tube is partially plugged and then the possibility of the next one getting a DOUBLE charge and that's just as dangerous as a wad stuck in the bbl. you certainly don't want your grandson or anybody getting hurt. Hope you get this straightened out.--Ross Puls

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Ross nd others, I can load up to 10 boxes without a hiccup, but it can happen anytime.

I'm hoping powder baffle is the answer. I shot 4 boxes tonight without a

problem at 17.6 gr. I know powder is hanging ever so often so have been letting

handle shake the powder while reloading. I think you might know what I mean.

1st year reloading so not afraid to ask questions. I did get recipe off Alliant site Ken U

9. 1ozreloader

1ozreloader TS Member

1 oz windjammer 18.5 of clay Dot. last 1600 targets averaged a 96+. Want to try something even easier on recoil? 4100-12B 18.5 ClayDot 7/8 lead. Have broken 2 99's in singles and 3 91's in doubles with the load.

10. kene

kene TS Member

For what it's worth -- when I suspect a bad powder drop because of an indented crimp or something along those lines I weigh the suspect cartridge and compare it with several others that have just been loaded. have caught several shells with no powder that way. figure my rcbs 1500 scale has paid for itself in reduced frustrations -- it sits beside my loader all the time ...

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ken, I load the same thing with Clays powder. I use 17 grains of powder and the win. primer and never had a problem. I changed over to the Nobel sport primers and got a some light sounding shells from time to time. Others shooters on my squad heard them as well. Went back to Win. primers and all was fixed. I could have gone up to l7.6 in powder and that may have fixed the problem as well, but I did not want to increase the speed and recoil of my loads. Good Luck and Brekae-m all JEff

12. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

This is a good load if you want to use a hotter primer; 16gr Claydot, CB1100 wad, Fed 209A primer. No bloopers and still light recoil but crushes targets. J. Terre

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I'm still following this. Ordered red baffle,grommets,spare wad guide plus a EZ pack . Still learning,didn't shoot well back stiffer than heck. a 78 Ken U
    Thanks for input advice loads etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot for 1oz 12ga