Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay Delay?

4K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  jhjanko 
#1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing one of the Clay Delay devices. When I have to choose "wired or wireless" this is based on if the machines I'm using use wired or wireless speakers correct?

Any reason I shouldn't purchase one of these? I really hate setting up a field just to shoot one or two rounds.

#2 ·
Rich:
The "CLAY DELAY" unit is a great device for the lone shooter to practice with.

I have owned and used both the Ventriloquist (a expensive piece of junk), and the "Clay Delay".

The Clay Delay is by far the better and least expensive unit, I have had mine almost three years now with no problems...

#3 ·
Rich , I purchased the clay delay 5 years ago with 2 transmitters and the units have worked flawlessly. At first I was a little sceptical because of the low price for a wireless system but it turned out to be a great system. Great people to buy from and always answer your calls. Hope you purchase one and good shooting. MIKE K.

#5 ·
The wired unit is physically connected to the machine and usually plugs in where a manual pull cord would go. You would, of course have to wire a matching connector to the cord on the unit.

That said, I would use it if I wanted to practice alone, or for trap if no voice calls were there.

HM

#6 ·
When I was looking I tried both and was inclined to go with the Clay Delay because of cost until I ran into a killer deal on a wireless Ventriloquist. BUT no matter which I strongly urge you to go with a wireless unit. It gets to be a hassle real quick dragging the cable around when shooting. The only downside I can see with wireless is that both the receiver and transmitter take batteries so now you need to carry 2 or 3 extras instead of one. Really no big deal. The Ventriloquist can use a single receiver with each shooter using their own transmitter if you shoot with friends. I ASSUME that the Clay Delay will also but I am not sure. I set mine up with enough cable on the receiver so I could plug directly into the machine and set the receiver at the back (shooter) side of the house.

--- Chip King ---

#7 ·
We have Clay Delays at our club and they work great. We have two units on the trap field for two shooters, but sometimes we use just one. One shooter calls for his target, and then pushes the manual release button for the second shooter when he calls for his target.

#8 ·
Rich,
I really enjoy using the Clay Delay I bought. The wireless receiver only comes with about a 3-4' cord to plug in to the trap cord. Like ChipKing, I also soldered an extra length of wire to the receiver so that it could reach around to the "back-wall" of the traphouse - thus ensuring the antennae is in full sight of the transmitters. I suppose you could avoid this by purchasing the additional antennae that Clay Delay offers. Also, the "re-arm" mode is a nice feature to have for trap use. This mode allows the transmitter to "re-set" itself after each throw of the bird. Without this, you will have to push a button to "arm" the transmitter for each shot. Shooting with another person or 2 isnt bad either - you can easily press down the tiny button "on top" to manually launch a bird when they call pull. The AAA batteries dont last too long in the cold though ! I used mine about 10 times so far ... and the batteries are now getting weak (but its 30-40 deg here lately). Its not the most robust housing for the transmitter or receiver - need to handle them carefully.

#11 ·
I like mine as well. It is a basic, wired Skeet version. I use it to practice skeet doubles at 3/4/5 and various single targets. I seldom shoot a regular round with this device. I just use it to practice given target or pairs.

I understand via the website that that a wired unit can be upgraded to wireless. I am seriously considering this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.